Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Nursery Style

I have had a lot of people ask me about how Brian and I are going to decorate our Nursery for our baby coming along in January.  People are asking what "theme" we are going with, and often they are surprised when I tell them that we don't have one.

Here is our color scheme:


One thing about decorating a nursery is that it never really is for the baby, we all know it's really for the mother.  When thinking about ours, I was determined to give it a style that reflects the rest of our place, not something that was overly "baby".  When looking for pieces and deciding on a color scheme, I kept in mind that I wanted to decorate in a style that our son would still like when he gets a little older, so I steered clear of anything looking to "precious" or "lullabye" (not that there's anything wrong with those, it just doesn't reflect the rest of my style).

Right now, Brian and I are living in an apartment, and have a small little room for the baby, but we are moving early next year, so we decided not to paint any of the walls.  Even if we were painting, I think we would stick with white walls and have two feature walls - one in warm grey, and one with some kind of wallpaper.
 
I found a great vintage dresser here in Houston, and the owner also custom-paints, so she transformed it from a country cream color to a gorgeous, modern azalea leaf blue.  I love how it turned out - the elegant, vintage shape is a great contrast with the bold blue.  I love the idea of an eclectic nursery with bold pops of color.  Right now we have it topped with some of my vintage milk glass and a fun yellow typewriter, but once baby comes, those will move to a bookshelf, and the changing pad will live there.

For decoration, I have a lot of little vintage pieces that work well with the look I want to create.  The great thing about decorating a nursery to suit my style, and not a "baby" style, is that I already have a lot of things that would work well with the room.  

I will post more updates as we piece together the new space. :)

9 comments:

Jacquelyn | lark&linen said...

Looks like you're off to a fantastic start :)

Teresa said...

This baby will be Prince. Thankfully not among paupers but two lovely, noble and really inspired People - Mum&Dad.
Enjoy!

Jess said...

Yay! Looks great, and I LOVE the color scheme! Little Man is almost here!!!!

Dancing Branflake said...

Sooo lovely with these beautiful muted colors.

Um... I literally squealed when I saw you posted. Just sayin. #girlcrush

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

It sounds like you are having fun.

Fondly,
Glenda

Kelly J. R. said...

You must be having so much fun planning for your little one. I love the colors you picked out.

I wanted to let you know that I'm having a little giveaway on my blog right now. I know you've hosted so many neat giveaways in the past and I was lucky enough to win one of them so I wanted to pass on the news.

I hope the final weeks of your pregnancy go smoothly.

Notes from Holly St. said...

It's been ages since I've stopped by your blog and I'm so happy to hear that you're expecting! Congratulations and the nursery is going to look incredible in those colors!

cheap jersey said...

Small man is almost here! !!!

nfl jerseys cheap said...

Very nice baby bed... It's really beautiful..