Monday, June 25, 2012

French Toast Love

Breakfasts with Brian are my favorite.  

I think that Breakfast should be a celebration.  Welcoming in the morning and the next day of our life.  Breakfasts are always such a bright and cheery meal.  I like the familiar sounds - the brewing of coffee in the percolator, the clinking of a teaspoon against china as coffee is being stirred, the popping of toast jumping up from the toaster... 


Photobucket

This Saturday, our breakfast menu was Muesli-crusted French Toast with a Lemon Berry Mascarpone filling.  And with a name like that, you know it's going to be yummy (please excuse my own horn-tooting here, hahaha).

Photobucket

This recipe is really easy to make - no need for any fancy breads or anything like that.  If you'd like the recipe, please follow me after the jump...



Muesli-crusted French Toast with a Lemon Berry Mascarpone Filling
(enough for 3 French Toasts - Brian had two and I had one - they are pretty filling!)

Ingredients for Toast:
- 6 slices of Sandwich Bread (we used whole wheat, but I am sure this would work with whatever bread you usually eat).

Ingredients for Batter and Crust:
- 2 cups of muesli (our muesli had a mixture of cornflakes, nuts, raisins, oats and grains)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspooon of cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup of milk

Ingredients for Filling:
- 6 tablespoons of mascarpone cheese
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons of lemon curd (if you don't have lemon curd - you can use the juice of half a lemon, and add another teaspoon of sugar to the mix)
- a handful of raspberries

Optional extras for sweetness and garnish:
- Strawberries and blueberries
- Golden Syrup or Maple Syrup
- Chopped Fresh Mint leaves


Directions:
1. Toast all 6 slices of bread.
2. Add all your filling ingredients to a bowl except the raspberries and whisk together until smooth, then add the berries and stir. 
3. Divide the filling between 3 toasts and spread over them, then sandwich the 3 toasts with the other 3 toasts and set aside.
4. Beat the eggs together and then add the cinnamon, nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, vanilla essence and milk - whisk until well combined.
5. In a separate bowl, pour your muesli.
6. Take your first "sandwich" and immerse it in your egg batter.
7. Once fully submerged and covered, take it out and put it into the muesli bowl, covering the whole sandwich with it.
8. Then, over medium heat, place the sandwich in a pan and cook until the batter is browned (but not burned!).
9. Once the sides, top and bottom are done, remove from heat and set aside.
10. Repeat with the other two sandwiches making sure the sides are all covered too - so instead of a sandwich, it will look like an enclosed piece of stuffed bread.
11. Garnish with berries, mint and syrup and then serve to your hungry breakfast date. :)


20 comments:

caroline @ patagonia gifts said...

omg Dionne this one sounds incredibly yummy! and easy! ha thanks for sharing. hope you're having a fabulous day, darling!


caroline @ patagonia gifts and jewelry

Teresa said...

I also look to breakfast as a celebration. Even if I'm alone when is happening.
I like to sit on my kitchen steps and watch the sun rise in front of me... I can see some houses far, but they're asleep. I can listen to the birds celebrating the new day in their way.
Priceless instants that fill me with peace and joy.
I'm known for getting up early to enjoy these last minutes of solitude but for that french toast I'd get up even earlier. Too yummy.

May your week be filled of lovely dawns and yummy breakfasts.

Teresa

Freya Lily said...

What a delicious idea! I love it! And I agree, breakfast shouldn't be rushed, as it is in our society. It should be a time to wake up, be greeted with a new day and enjoy the moments before the hustle and bustle of work. I petition a long breakfast hour!!!

Fromfreyawithlove.blogspot.com

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

This yummy recipe would turn any morning into a celebration.

Dancing Branflake said...

I've never thought of coating the sandwich, but I think it would give it the extra texture it needs to be fulfilling and yummy. SOOO trying this next time!

Holly Knitlightly said...

That looks amazingly delicious! YUM! Thanks for sharing the recipe! :)

Daisy said...

I always get so excited when you post! What a great recipe. I must try it :)

michellebeth said...

Oh my goodness— this sounds delicious. Im thinking breakfast at YOUR house... : > )

Carmen @ Forgotten Fancies said...

That looks so good and so pretty too. I think i'll have to gather some ingredients and surprise my boy with some homemade goodness this weekend. x

K said...

Oh my gosh! ...please excuse my drooling.

Tender B. said...

Wow...are you sure this can still be considered breakfast?

Behold the Metatron said...

oh my that looks so tasty!

-Kristen
www.beholdthemetatron.com

Bria Bell said...

Dionne, breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. My mother was a single mom but she always made sure that we had breakfast every morning. When she could afford it, she would take us out to eat for breakfast.

My favorite breakfast item is waffles. I love waffles, whip cream and strawberries. It can't hurt to have a little bacon and some scrambled eggs on the side.

By the way, you should compile all of your amazing recipes together and create a cookbook. It would be a bestseller.

Asiye Ivedi said...

its sounds and looks delish!

Miss B. said...

I LOVE breakfast! Sunday is our day for specialty breakfast, usually pancakes but I am sure my husband would love this recipe!

Mekkan said...

Simple but gorgeous breakfast to me!

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

Looks delicious, I love your version, its a bit unexpected!

KERRIN said...

i am madly in love with your blog! so happy i found it...wanna follow each other? xx

Phoenix said...

Okay. I know where I'm taking you next time you come out to SoCal. They have french toast to DIE for. ;)

Zoe said...

Wow! That looks so delicious :)