Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Countdown 'til Christmas

There are too many months that have slipped by so quickly, aren't there? How can it already be almost November?!

When I was a little girl, the countdown to Christmas begun in mid-October.
My parents would begin their Christmas shopping, and I would begin my coordinated snooping in drawers and other hiding-places for any gifts. I was a very stealthy child, and made sure to conduct my searches when they were occupied doing other things.

Photobucket

Christmas-time is in the summer back in Australia, so while searching for gifts, I daydreamed about pink snow and candy canes. The closest thing we ever got to snow were pink flowering trees. And during one of those little daydreams I got sloppy. I had found a big shopping bag in my parents' bedroom and it had staples all along the top. I knew that I would have to pull them out carefully and replace them as soon as I'd peeked inside. So after unpicking each little staple, I was greeted by a bag full of colorful toys and books. My mind started wandering, and I guess I must have forgotten to replace all the staples, and only realized my mistake an hour later when my mum's stern voice called my name from her bedroom....

Did you ever get caught peeking at gifts before Christmas? For some people it might not be an issue, since a lot of people tend to do last minute gift-shopping just a few days before Christmas. Are you an early-shopper?

I still can't believe it's almost Christmas!!!

17 comments:

Dancing Branflake said...

How did I not catch on that you're Australian? Now I have to read your posts in a different accent.

Heather said...

Haha! I am a TOTAL last-minute shopper. As for snooping...I was an expert sneak, but with Christmas presents I never got up the nerve! (Plus my Mom was a dynamite hider of gifts because SHE was a Christmas snoop haha!) I think I was too uncertain about whether I actually wanted to know ahead of time or not. It's always fun to open presents having no idea what's inside!

Nicole Egerer said...

I also was a mischevious child and snooped around our house for the christmas gifts my mom bought for us. I searched through everywhere, the spare bedroom, under the beds and finally hit the jackpot when I found them in the pantry. But now that I think back about it, it may have been fun to find them early to take a look at what you were gonna get but it ruined the fun of the surprise on Christmas morning. Oh little kids... wait.. it's so much more fun if you just wait a little bit longer :)

Thanks for sharing. Brings back memories!!

Kind Regards,
Nicole

Chiara said...

Hi Dionne, I start to buy gifts on October, because I love to make handmade gifts....
When I was 8 years old, I found my last Barbie in the loft 2 days before Christmas, but I thought Santa Claus arrived in advance :-)
I love Christmas countdown!
Have a nice week!

amy b.s. said...

i can't believe the christmas stuff is already out in stores. and for the life of me, i cannot find a tree skirt! how is that possible!

Daisy said...

Funny enough my mom would take us shopping for our gifts so we were never surprised. We still unwrapped them though, haha. I'm a very late shopper... but not this year!

Looking Glass said...

Hahaha! Naughty, Dionne! No, I've always been a big fan of surprises so I never snooped. However, I'm still ever curious, so once I saw any wrapped presents under the tree (usually ones from relatives & family friends) I did love to feel them and try to guess what was inside ;-p

~ Clare x

Teresa said...

Way too early-shopper ;). I have almost all my gifts already bought (and stored in no-way-mum-would-come-here-places ;))...

I need to enter advent (I'm catholic) free from all that stress - and for me is a stress to need something and not being abble to find and having to run crazily around looking for it) - free to enjoy the sounds, the colors, other people's crazyness (and, I must say, a bit of envy for their laid-back ways).

I was never caught... because I never wanted to know. My kids want to know but hey, good luck for them ;).

So glad it's almost Christmas. I Love it!!!

Christina- floresdelsol said...

i remember hiding in my moms closet and finding my presents. i dont think she ever knew. i found a glass Rapunzel doll and had to act surprised when i opened it christmas morning.

Lindsay @ Delighted Momma said...

Eeeps I am so excited for Christmas! I am such a last minute shopper..I need to change that!

Diana Mieczan said...

This year is flying by for me and its incredible that the holiday season is almost here. Btw: I used to do that too...It was such a fun time:) Have a wonderful Thursday. Kisses

Sey said...

back when I was a child, I'm not the one who was caught but I caught them putting gifts on my Christmas socks (all along I thought the gifts were from Santa) LOL!!! I usually do early shopping for Christmas because it's hard to rush on things especially when you have to pick special presents for every love ones, but I make it a point to at least not to buy two or three gifts so that I can enjoy shopping near Christmas. I love the ambience.

Barbara said...

I don't even want to think about it. I am totally unprepared this year!
My kids tell me (now they're grown) they knew all the hiding places and had practically unwrapped everything before Christmas!!

Hilary Claire said...

I never got caught, but I peeked every year! My parents always hid them in the same place haha.

I'm definitely an early shopper. My ambitious goal every year is to be done my Thanksgiving!

Tender Branson said...

My brother and I found a gift when we were young and started doing a dance about it. My parents knew we had seen it and threatened to return it. Thankfully they didn't.

Jesse said...

I actually never really peeked, I love surprises way too much:)

Gaia said...

I'm doing the same count down....