Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Mad Men

So who watched the Emmy Awards this weekend? I haven't watched an award show in at least three years, so when I finally did this weekend, I was excited to see that my favorite show right now Mad Men won Best Drama.

Photobucket

Have you all seen it? It stars the awesome Jon Hamm (who I first had a tiny crush on from his days on What About Brian), and is set in the stylish 1960s in an advertising agency. I absolutely love everything about the show - from the characters, to the clothes, to the set design. It's really interesting to catch a glimpse of the writers' perspectives of 1960s America; where it was OK for kids to run around playing with plastic bags over their heads, or for people to drink endless supplies of alcohol during the morning meetings at the office. So much has changed since then.

Photobucket
Photobucket

It makes me think about things that have changed since I was a little girl. While I wasn't born yet in the 60s, it's interesting to see how much has even changed since the 1980s. I remember a milkman would always come to our door to bring bottles of fresh milk, and then when we were finished, we'd leave the empty glass bottles at the door. I remember using type writers in early high school (which turned to computers in my last three years of school).

What are some things that you remember from your childhood that are almost unheard of today?

(The last two awesome images are from the Mad Men DVD set and Annie Leibovitz).
(The winner of the Revived Vintage Chalk Board is Kristen. Congrats!)

22 comments:

Anna of IHOD said...

It is crazy how much times have changed! I remember when gas was 75 cents a gallon!
Mad mens wardrobe never ceases to amaze me!

a said...

I still get my milk delivered. butter and ice cream too.... makes it a little easier to cope with the fast pace of change with everything else.

Georgie said...

if only I could get my milk & etc delivered! I thinks it's crazy how its wasn't that long ago where woman weren't taken serious unless they were secretaries!
love your drawing!

Daisy said...

I have never seen this show but now I want to! I remember recording music with a tape on the radio! Now you just download music, haha.

Sarah said...

I've never watched it, but I"m so tempted too. I've always admired any picture I've seen from the show. It definitely has a lot of eye candy.

- Sarah

http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I was born in the 50's - imagine how much has changed since then. I remember paying 2 cents for milk at school.

Thanks for the show recommendation . . . I like to watch 2 or 3 shows each season, and haven't chosen any yet.

Love your drawing today.

Fondly,
Glenda

Mekkan said...

Speaking of TV programs from your country, I always enjoy all the elements besides the stories and the characters such as the fashions the daily life---the culture itself.

Serendipity Handmade said...

In the 80s I too used typewriters at school and later had one at home to type papers. I even took a business typing class (which incidentally, is one of the best things I ever did).

I miss Polaroid cameras. I know we can buy extremely overpriced film now but it's just not the same.

Dancing Branflake said...

Sigh I love John Hamm. Loved loved loved him in 30 Rock.

Amanda said...

Mad Men is so amazing. one of my favorites by far. I love the idea of the 60s being so glamorous.

those women are so breathtaking!

Kori Donahue said...

My favorite show ever! I'd love to have you link up with me for "Flirting With Temptation Thursday," come check it out!

I'm also having a great giveaway where you can win a $50 gift card to Victoria's Secret that ends Friday! Have a fabulous night doll!

www.blondeepisodes.com

Kori xoxo

pigeon pie said...

I miss going to the local corner shop with 5 cents and getting a mass amount of lollies... now 5 cents does't even exist ...

lisaroyhandbags said...

I was born in 1968, with 2 older siblings. I got plenty of hand-me-downs and remember the old avocado rotary phone in the kitchen, one TV in the living room with 3 channels, milk deliveries, penny candies at the corner store and bottles of strawberry soda. :)

Sey said...

I love their clothes, - simply gorgeous. Sometimes, I wish we could go back even just for a day. How lovely is that to experience the old times.

I have an antique typewriter too. It's case is made of wood. Once I thought of giving it away but glad I changed my mind. I will keep it for the rest of my life.

Kelly J. R. said...

When I was young, all of the neighbor kids would get together almost every day after school to play kick the can, tag, baseball or whatever we could dream up. We were always outdoors and always running. These days, I rarely see kids outside.

amy b.s. said...

i've been saving mad men to watch all together as i've heard at the end of every episode, you're just dying for the next. i don't think i could do another series like that after lost! but i'm so excited to watch it.

Sam {fitnessfoodandfaith.blogspot.com} said...

i love madmen! the outfits are amazing. used to love my vhs collection...no longer very useful :)

Barbara said...

It's a good show...I caught up with the entire thing on Netflix.
Congrat to them. Love the clothes!

Hilary Claire said...

Oh gosh.... Skip-It, Dunkaroos, "Face" on Nick Jr, Ribbon Dancer, Tamagotchi ... the early 90s were good times!

Tender B. said...

I think the price of gas is a huge thing. Also kid's time. It is so much more structured now than it was in the past.

Meghan said...

I am obsessed with Mad Men! I'm bummed that we have to wait so long for it to come back!

icansmelltheroses.com said...

I've never seen Mad Men but from your description, I would love to start watching it.

My, how I miss my childhood. I remember picking berries and pears in our backyard. There were no concerns about snakes and mosquitoes.