Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Sweet Shakespeare

"Kiss me, Kate."

I only just found out the other night that this famous quote comes from the Shakespeare play, "Taming of the Shrew".

Photobucket

Shakespeare had a way with words, didn't he? He could tell such elaborate stories and paint such pretty word pictures. Brian, some friends and I went to see "Taming of the Shrew" the other night at Miller Outdoor Theater. It was a balmy Houston night, but there's something so almost other-worldly about watching Shakespeare, that the humidity didn't bother me as much as it normally would. I'd read the play back in high school, but had forgotten how fun it was. Definitely a comedy, and definitely something that would rile up any woman if it were to be taken seriously.

Photobucket

I came back from the play inspired. And usually when I am inspired it leads to: a) a wild session of drawing, b) baking or cooking moments, or c) planning a party. This particular time it lead to a baking moment. Just like I'd revisited Taming of the Shrew after so many years, I was determined to tweak a classic recipe and make it my own. It resulted in a delicious Blackberry Lychee Cobbler. I will be posting the recipe up on my Facebook Page shortly.

What is your favorite Shakespeare play? My favorite two would have to be Hamlet and Midsummer Night's Dream.

21 comments:

lisaroyhandbags said...

I've never actually read this particular Shakespeare piece but I did love Midsummer Night's Dream.
Your cobbler looks dreamy! :)

Rhianne said...

ohh, you've changed your header, its lovely!

I didn't realise it was shakespeare either, oddly I blogged about something shakespeare today too

Sarah Mina said...

Love Miller Outdoor Theater and that cobbler looks amazing!

www.sarahandthecityblog.blogspot.com

amy b.s. said...

i am definitely a bit of a sucker for shakespeare. and i am loving your hair by the way!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Sound fun and delicious! Exploring the things that each city offers in the summer is great.

And another beautiful drawing.

Fondly,
Glenda

Catarina Almeida Santos said...

lovely illustrations :)

i love this blog :)

Santi
santiroyalhome.blogspot.com

Sam {fitnessfoodandfaith.blogspot.com} said...

so fun!! i love these houston events (if you can survive the heat!!).
Sam @ fitness food & faith

Ashley said...

D,

I just want to say congratulations on the new gig. That's absolutely, positively wonderful. You are the perfect match for the company. Hip, hip Hooray!

Xo,

Ash

L'Atelier said...

i love shakespeare and outdoor theaters even more! sounds like a lot of fun
the cobbler looks super delish

ps i reactivated my fb account - so now i am looknig forward to your recipes!

Caroline said...

I love watching Shakespeare outdoors!! Great photos!

icansmelltheroses.com said...

I love Midsummer Night's Dream. This is one of my fav Shakespearean plays.

I just had berry cobbler Saturday night at one of my new fav restaurants in our area. Yummy! I would love to make it at home.

Gaia said...

i've missed your blog! I'll use my summer holidays to read all the past posts!
You are fantastic!

Jess said...

I love Miller Outdoor! And I've always been a Shakespeare fan, even if it was a comedy or tragedy :)

Dancing Branflake said...

I just went to the Globe and it was incredible!!! Oh man, I can't get over how much I love Shakespeare.

Shea said...

Taming of the Shrew always reminds me of 10 Things I Hate about You which is based on it I'm pretty sure. I love that movie. And Shakespeare, of course! And that cobbler--it looks delicious!

Looking Glass said...

I recently played Hermia in A Midsummer Night's Dream outdoors, under the stars. I loved every minute of performing outdoor theatre. It's the perfect outdoor Shakespeare to do as it's set outdoors anyway. Taming of the Shrew is another absolute favourite though.

Mmmmm, I'm off to grab that recipe!

~ Clare x

Erica said...

I am loving your hair!

affordable insurance

Amy - Thank You Cards Shop said...

so fun! i love seeing shakespeare performed outdoors, we need to do something like that this summer. midsummer night's dream is my all time fave :)

Sey said...

I love the midsummer nights dream too. I wish I could watch more play here.

I love your picture with your husband. You're a lovely couple.

Anna of IHOD said...

Oh that sounds like so much fun. There is an outdoor theatre here that Ia m hoping to escape to one night with my husband. Have a wonderful weekend!
Anna

Bobbie said...

I live in Oregon and go to the Ashland Shakespeare festival (but not often enough)Honestly one of my favorites is Taming of the Shrew! I love the campy fun! It was the last one I saw in the Elizabethan outdoor theater.