Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A Guilty Breakfast

OK, cuff me and take me away to prison - I'm guilty.
Right now I am typing a confession to you, in the midst of committing the crime. I am eating
Crème Brûlée Pie for breakfast.

Photobucket

I made some Pavlova and this
Crème Brûlée Pie for a 4th of July Party the other day, but made enough crust for two, so I made an extra pie to keep at home. It keeps calling out to me, and it's been quite hard to ignore. I had found a recipe for it on the Food Network website, but didn't have all the necessary ingredients, so I decided to make one on my own. I make regular Crème Brûlée often, so I decided to just make some pie crust to hold my usual Crème Brûlée goodness.

Follow me after the jump for the recipe.


Crème Brûlée Pie

PIE CRUST INGREDIENTS:
- 3/4 cup cold butter chopped into cubes
- 1 1/2 cups flour
-
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
-
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt

FILLING INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 whole eggs, and 1 extra egg yolk

- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- seeds from half a vanilla bean (optional)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup golden syrup

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees farenheit.
2. Mix together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar until combined.
3. Add the chopped butter and mix until it all has the texture of breadcrumbs.
4. Add the vanilla essence and the water and mix until it combines.
5. Shape the dough with your hands until it forms a ball and wrap in plastic wrap, refrigerating for about 45 minutes.
6. Roll the pastry into a flat circle and then line your pie tray with the dough, and prick with a fork.
7. Cover the pie with wax paper and fill with rice and bake for 15 minutes (this is called blind baking. You bake the crust ahead of putting in the filling so that the filling doesn't make it soggy. The rice weighs down the dough so it doesn't rise or bubble up while baking).
8. Beat together all the egg, sugar, vanilla essence and golden syrup and then set aside.
9. Boil together the milk and the cream (and vanilla bean if using), and then gradually pour it in small amounts into the egg mixture. You must do this slowly and gradually so that the egg doesn't scramble. Whisk.
10. Allow the cream mix to cool and then pour into the pie crust (after having removed the wax paper and rice, of course).
11. Bake for 30 minutes or until set.
12. Sprinkle the top with sugar and then blow with a blowtorch to make the hardened sugar top. I think you can also do this by putting it under the broiler for a few minutes.

Enjoy!

27 comments:

Jessica Di Giacomo said...

hi Dionne! So yummy this creme! i cooked this last week with my finacè and this was a succesfull..but this ingredients are diffrents..i write yours!!

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

omg! this looks soooo good!

Chiara75 said...

Yummy! I love creme brule!
Kiss

Anna of IHOD said...

Ihad a guilty chocilate muffin breakfast this morning:) This looks amazing!
Have a great week my friend!

Caroline said...

Ha I love it!!! I have guilty breakfasts every once in awhile as well!! Enjoy the moment!! MMM!

Daisy said...

Is it worth the calories? It looks really good.

Nicole Egerer said...

WOW.. that looks so yummy! I am a big creme brulee fan so I bet this is amazing. Now you are leading me down the path of no return :)

The fourth of July ended up being a very gluttonous day but the church baseball game and walk helped burn some of that delicious food off!

Thanks for sharing,
Nicole

amy b.s. said...

that looks amazing. and breakfast can be whatever you want it to be i've decided. sometimes breakfast for me is cold pizza!

Zoe said...

Wow, I love this! I love creme brulee, and in pie form can only make it better. Reminds me of an English Egg Custard, and so so yummy for breakfast!

Sam {fitnessfoodandfaith.blogspot.com} said...

oh my. how yum!! what a perfect breakfast :)

Katy at Classic Farmhouse said...

lol No crime in that in my opinion! Looks delish and if I was there I'd be digging in with ya ;0) Blessings, Katy

caroline @ patagonia gifts said...

omg I'd love to commit this crime! yummy!

Jess said...

I have a similar problem. I made a bunch of cupcakes for 4th of July and have been eating them for breakfast as well, but your creme brulee looks much more tasty!

Tender Branson said...

People eat sweets for breakfast all the time so go ahead, continue to indulge, you're golden.

Vanessa Mala/HeightofVintage said...

this is recipe is going in my collection :)
love me some creme brulee

Amanda said...

No crime was committed when the pie looks that good...holy cow!! Thanks for the recipe link too.

P.S. Question for you: I was searching your site for an email address and wasn't able to find it. I wanted to see if you were interested in writing a guest post for me while I'm on vacation? Want to email me? :)

Nuha said...

ooohhh dessert for breakfast is seriously the best!!

Dancing Branflake said...

How did I miss this post? Goodness, I adore creme brulee, especially for breakfast. So posh!

Dionne said...

Hi Amanda - sure! What's your email address, I don't see it on here, or your profile.

My email is on the right, just below the ads. cityofdionne@gmail.com

Lindsey said...

Oh, girl, my hips hate you right now.

Looking Glass said...

Oooh! Thanks, i'll definitely be tying this out!

~ Clare x

simplesong | suann said...

that looks fantastic!

jennifer ▲ i art u said...

i am dying over here dionne! i've never tried Crème Brûlée pie but Crème Brûlée is one of my favorite desserts and i think i might just love it...will you come over here and make it for me? ;)
hope you're having a good weekend!
j.

Roseanna said...

This looks amazing! I love all of your foodie posts, I now feel very inspired to try some for myself, I think your stunning photos help!
Do you know of any (tasty) low fat cake/sweet treat recipies? xox

Send Flowers Online said...

So luck to come across your excellent blog. Your blog brings me a great deal of fun.. Good luck with the site.

Coco Draws said...

Love your work and your blog. :)

Send Flowers in india said...

It made me hungry again. Nice post man.