Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Kitchen Endeavors

What are your favorite things to cook?

Photobucket

I have some favorite recipes, but I also like to experiment, so rarely do I have time to cook my favorites because I am always looking for new favorites.

My husband Brian is half Korean, and his mother introduced me to the world of Korean Food. I love all the flavors and all the little side dishes they have. Have you ever tried Bi Bim Bap? It's a Korean street food. Basically it's white rice in a sizzling pan, topped with piles of different vegetables and beef, and then topped with a fried egg, sunny-side up. Before eating, you just break the yolk, and mix all the vegetables, beef and yolk in with the rice. It's soooo good!

I decided to try and make it for the first time last night, after finding this recipe here. I highly recommend it. Soooo good!

Photobucket

Something that is also relatively new to me are grits. We don't eat grits in Australia, so I never knew about them until moving here to the US. I don't really consider them very exciting, so I decided to make it my mission to make them yummy - so I made some the other night along with shrimp and bacon. If you'd like my recipe, meet me after the jump...

If you have any links to some recipes you think I might like to try, please leave them in the comments. I am always on the lookout for new and interesting things to cook/bake.



SHRIMP & BACON WITH CHEESY GRITS:

Ingredients
- 1.5 cups grits
- 3.5 cups water
- 4.5 tablespoons butter
- 8 sage leaves
- 2.5 cups grated fontina cheese
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 lb shrimp
- 1/4 chopped up bacon
- juice of half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 minced garlic clove
- assorted microgreens for garnish
- salt & pepper
- paprika

Directions
- Fry the sage in half a tablespoon of the butter until stiff, then set aside on paper towels.
- Boil water, and then add the grits, salt and pepper and whisk so that it doesn't stick to the bottom.
- Lower the heat and and cover for 7-8 minutes until all the water is absorbed into the grits.
- Take it off the heat and a stir in the rest of the butter, the cheese, 1/2 a teaspoon of the cayenne pepper, and crumble in the sage leaves, then set aside.
- Fry the bacon bits until it's how you like it, then set aside on a paper towel.
- Add the shrimp into the bacon grease, along with the garlic, salt, pepper, the remaining cayenne pepper and lemon juice.
- Place the shrimp into a bowl and stir with the green onions, parsley and chives, and then spoon it over the grits to serve, and garnish with microgreens and a sprinkling of paprika.

30 comments:

Jaime @ La vie...J'aime said...

both of these dishes look soo yummy! i will have to try that Korean dish at a restaurant- i think the recipe is too advanced for me! lol ;)

alicia said...

Bacon + Cheese is basically always a win. Yum.

Kelly J. R. said...

I'm like you in that I'm constantly trying new recipes. I love to check out cookbooks from the library and spend 2 weeks cooking as many recipes as I can from one book.

One recipe that I keep coming back to is
Hawaiian-style sweet and sour roasted pineapple and bell peppers
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/11302?section=

Diana Mieczan said...

Im also always on a hunt for new recipes and I will be trying both of those. I had grits a few times before and I cant wait to make it again. Have a fantastic Tuesday, my dear
Kisses and hugs

Melanie's Randomness said...

I have to show my boyfriend the shrimp and bacon dish because those are his two favorite foods! I love to cook fajitas!! =)

Melanie's Randomness

Regina said...

Those look yummy! This passed weekend I was baking a lot for a baby shower and for a belated cake for the hubby.

One of my favorite things to make is stromboli. My grandmother taught me how to make it and I just love it! Although she mostly made ham & cheese and I like supreme the best. One day, when I blog about it, I'll send you my recipe. :)

Regina♥

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

The Korean dish looks amazing and has so many things I love in it. You are a creative girl . . . in so many areas of your life.

Fondly,
Glenda

Sam {fitnessfoodandfaith.blogspot.com} said...

shrimp and grits is Bennett's fave!! i'm the same way with always trying new things. pizza is my go-to on lazy days :)

Jessica Di Giacomo said...

i dionne, thank you too visit me! i love the italian cusine, but i love too to mix culture and eats. love your cusine!!

Nuha said...

I always find asian food so intimidating! I need to get over my worries and just try it!

Almalu's Place said...

as always your pictures make my mouth watering! ;D

Lily from Birch + Bird said...

I've been needing some big time inspiration in the kitchen these days...that Korean dish looks amazing! Yummm!

Signe said...

Oh boy does this look good! You are quite the chef I must say :)

And your drawings are just as lovely as ever! Do you make them by hand or on the PC?

Hugs,
Signe

birdie to be said...

These look yummy! So do the breakfast goodies from yesterday!

www.birdietobe.blogspot.com

Shea said...

I've never really tried much Korean food at all, but the Bi Bim Bap looks really good! (And it's fun to say.)

Dancing Branflake said...

Oh my goodness I am having major food envy right now! Those grits look amazing! I love them with butter and cheese. And maybe some bacon on top. Very simple and so good.

Silver Strands said...

This post is making my diet a little painful right now ... love the pics!

Sarah said...

The Bi Bim Bap looks so good! It combines a ton of my favorite things, I may have to try making it. The breakfast post had me drooling too!!

Tender Branson said...

I'm with you on always trying new stuff so never having time to cook the favorites. I've heard of the Bi Bim Bap but have never eaten it. A lot of my friends have really been into the shrimp and grits with bacon thing though I abstain for obvious reasons.

Brandi {not your average ordinary} said...

I don't think I've ever really had Korean food that looks like that. Honestly, I was horribly picky when I was young. Now I'm much more willing to try things but I still haven't tried it all! As for my cooking, I love making it all, though something about pizza always puts a smile on my face.

All Things Photography said...

I love that you are always so dedicated to trying new things in the kitchen!
I have a list of recipes on my to-do list but some of them still intimidate me, so we should make them together ;) hehehe

Anywho one of the recipes I just found that I think you would like is this--

Italian Baked Eggs

Ingredients
1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup chopped red or green sweet pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons olive oil or cooking oil
6 egg whites
1 egg
1 cup fat-free milk
1 tablespoon shredded fresh basil
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (1 ounce)
Chopped tomato (optional)

Directions
In a medium skillet cook zucchini, onion, sweet pepper, and garlic in hot oil until onion is tender. Set aside.
In a medium bowl stir together the egg whites, egg, milk, and basil. Stir in zucchini mixture. Pour into 4 individual quiche dishes or shallow casseroles, about 4-1/2 inches in diameter.
Bake in a 350 degree F. oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until set. Sprinkle each serving with mozzarella cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. If desired, sprinkle with chopped tomato. Makes 4 servings.

lmk how it turns out :)

orchid said...

Looks yummy yummy!!!!!

I always admire your lots of talents and interests.
Also I am enjoying your drawing here.

Now, I wonder if you can try Japanese food, (*^_^*)

Hugs, orchid

Petite Voyageur said...

the egg dish looks delish!

theeclecticlife said...

Forget going to a cute restaurant, I just want some of YOUR cooking! Amazing dishes and photos as usual! Seriously though, grits have never looked so good to me.

oh, hello friend. said...

I'm not the best chef.. :/ Our cooking consists of pasta and microwave meals right now. I wish I had your skills, you should come teach a cooking class on your next trip out ;)

Anna of IHOD said...

I think you need to come and teach me how to make these things:D They look so delicious. I am dying to try these!

amy b.s. said...

these look amazing! so yummy! i love trying new things so i'm definitely going to have to include these!

Barbara said...

Try cheese grits, my dear!


6 cups water
2 1/4 teaspoons salt
2 cups yellow grits* (not quick or instant; 12 oz)
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1/2 lb Cheddar, coarsely grated (2 cups)
3 large eggs
1 cup whole milk

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F.

Bring water and 3/4 teaspoon salt to a boil in a 4-quart heavy pot.

Add grits in a slow stream, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and gently simmer, stirring frequently to avoid sticking, until very thick, about 30 minutes. (Use a long-handled spoon to avoid bubbling and popping hot grits.)

Add butter, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, pepper, garlic, and cheese, stirring until butter and cheese are melted. Lightly beat eggs and milk in a small bowl, then stir into grits until combined.

Pour into an ungreased 8-inch square baking dish (2 inches deep) and bake until set and lightly browned, about 1 hour. Serve immediately.

Jesse said...

i definitely make a version of that, i just call it hippie food/.

Kristin said...

YUM! I love grits, but I've never attempted to make them myself. I should go for it! Your end result looks amazing!