Thursday, May 19, 2011

Engagement

I love hearing people's engagement stories, don't you?
Photobucket
Our friends Jenni and Adam got engaged and will be getting married in October. They asked me to take their engagement photos recently, and here's the lovely couple:

Photobucket

Along with Jenni and Adam's engagement pics, this engagement video that has been making the blog and facebook rounds has made me reminisce about when Brian proposed to me.

Brian and I both lived in California, but then he moved to Houston for work - so for two years we had a long-distance relationship. For the proposal, Brian had set it up about a month in advance. One of our friends had a boss who had recently broken his back in a car accident, and while it was terrible for him, it worked in conveniently for Brian's plan. Our friend called me up telling me that since his boss had broken his back, he could nolonger use his two massage tickets that he had, and he had given them to him. He asked me if I wanted to go. I had never had a professional massage before, so I jumped at the chance.

Photobucket

A week later, off we went. I was expecting him to take me to some dinky little hole-in-the-wall place, but instead we ended up at at the amazing Montage Resort in Laguna Beach (Laguna Beach happens to be where Brian and I met, but I didn't take notice of that detail right then). Immediately I called Brian to gush to him about how gorgeous the place was and how I couldn't believe that I was able to get a free spa day there. We had gotten there a little late, so when we got there I asked if there were any other massage spaces that day. The lady looked down the list and said to me "What name is your reservation under?" I looked at my friend and then said to the lady "Evan Winter."

She looked down the list and said "oh yes, there you are. No problem, we can move you back half an hour." My friend had a weird expression on his face, but I made nothing of it, and excitedly went in to the women's side for my massage. When I was done, I came out all relaxed in my robe, and standing there was Brian, all dressed up in a tie, and all the people in the spa were watching us with excited faces. I knew right then that he must have planned this whole thing and was about to propose.

But no, he didn't propose right then. He whisked me off on a lovely wine and cheese tasting, and then we went to a couples cooking class. After making a beautiful dinner, he took me down to the beach where we first met and pulled out a ring that he had custom designed for me. We were the only people on the beach, and light from the hotel above was shining down on us, and that is where he proposed. It was soooo romantic!

*The reason why my friend had given a weird look was because Brian hadn't put a reservation under Evan Winter, so he was worried that the surprise would be ruined when the lady didn't see his name. Coincidentally, ANOTHER Evan Winter was scheduled for a massage that day! What are the odds?!!

*Another weird thing - Brian had picked up the ring the day he was flying out to Cali, but it was taking longer than expected. By the time he got out of the ring store, he only had ten minutes to go until his flight was meant to leave. He hurried to the airport and didn't get there until 45 minutes later, thinking he'd have to try and get another flight. But lo and behold - when he arrived, he saw on the monitor that his flight had been delayed. As soon as he boarded the plane the captain announced that they were ready for take off! God must have REALLY wanted Brian to propose that day, hahahaha!

Do you have any engagement stories you'd like to share?

35 comments:

Colores said...

wowwwwwwww Such a romantic! engagement!!my husband asked me on a flight fron barcelona to nizza !! it was quite spontaneous, he just found romantic the idea of asking above the sky!!! I couldn´t believe it and I began to laugh.... not that romantic!!!

Joyeful said...

Aww...what a beautiful story!! Love it :) And your blog is gorgeous--I'm so glad I visited today! I'll be following you!

My man proposed to me in Jackson Square in New Orleans after a carriage ride through the French Quarter and I laughed at him (I had never seen him so serious!)

Nicole-Lynn said...

Awww yey! How fun and exciting! I love hearing other people's engagement stories!

My hubby and I just got married... he surprised me with a trip to St. Thomas for our engagement.

Dancing Branflake said...

Whew! My heart was beating reading Brian's crazy flight adventure. What a fabulous story!

Amanda said...

I love engagement stories! Yours is so perfect and lovely. How funny that another person had an appointment under the same name?!

There is a proposal story floating around the web recently where a man commissioned a sand artist to draw will you marry me in the sand? Isn't that sweet? I saw it on Happiness Is... if you have any time to peek at it.

Audra said...

I JUST shared that engagement video on my Facebook... it made me laugh and cry! So sweet :)

I love your engagement story too :)

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Go, Brian. That is a great engagement story.

Our story is rather boring, as my husband to be - didn't plan anything - just went with the moment. But being married to him has never been boring. He is a gem.

Fondly,
Glenda

AMKreations said...

Such a beautiful story! I loved hearing about your special day!

Kristin B said...

aaahh! that post was so great! I'm not married but a friend of mine just got engaged. Her husband-to-be wined and dined her at a beach resort and took her on a romantic stroll intending for her to discover a carefully guarded message written in the sand. Unfortunately she didn't notice it and after walking back and forth over and over waiting for her to see it, he finally had to stop directly in front of it and POINT! hahahahahaha

Brandi {not your average ordinary} said...

I really love engagement stories and I have tears in my eyes after reading yours. How wonderful! And I love how everything just seemed to magically work out. What the universe wants, the universe gets.

*mAki* said...

Aw how sweet! I love when hearing engagement stories. It represents Hope. And I loved hearing your story. You and Brian are such a lovely couple - something so many people long for to be. Congrats to your friends, too!!!

xoxo

Sey said...

I read that story before. I can't remember if it was here or on the wedding site you're writing before. I love to hear stories of engagements. Yours and Bryan was unique.

Phoenix said...

This is such an adorable story! And I'm so glad Brian was being "looked after" during this whole experience so it could be nothing but a blessing to both of you!

Laguna Beach is one of my most favorite places on the entire planet. It's gorgeous!

Shea said...

What a sweet story! I love hearing others' engagement stories too! Mine was very simple, but sweet--exactly what I wanted. He cooked me dinner, fed me ice cream (my favorite!) then popped the question :)

Alexandra Joy said...

Beautiful! We had lunch at the Montage while in Laguna recently. Gorgeous! Love, love, love hearing engagement stories. Congrats to your friends!

CM said...

=D so many signs that the two of you were meant to be! well wishes to your friends!

Kristin H said...

OH,lalalala! Sweet and congratulations to the lucky in love ones:)

Looking Glass said...

What a gorgeous story Dionne! I love hearing engagement stories.

~ Clare x

amy b.s. said...

i loved that movie preview engagement. so cute! my husband asked me at my parent's annual christmas eve party in front of our families and close friends. it was very personal and he was so cute!

Kelly J. R. said...

My coworker and I watched the movie trailer and engagement and we were both sniffling. So thoughtful and creative! Your engagement story is really cool. I really admire guys that put a lot of thought and planning into popping the question. It's nice to have a neat story to tell your future kids and grandkids :)

LBB said...

What a sweet, perfect engagement story! Sounds like it was definitely meant to be! :)

Kelly said...

That drawing is as pretty as a real diamond. Girl, you've got skillz

Tender Branson said...

That's a crazy story. Can't believe how well things worked out.

Janna Renee said...

i love stories of love...so inspiring and fulfilling!

Little Miss Tiara said...

oh gosh oh gosh! Your story is just s cute! I've read it somewhere about the spa and all but nope... I ddn't know about Evan winter nor the airplane! Oh deaaarrr... it's just sooo... fate-y hahahaha :P

and yes, why do you need to ask, the hardcore romantic in me of course love reading engagement stories, lol... xD can't wait to know how mine would be like hmmm... :}

Shortening said...

Dionne, that is such a romantic engagement story. Brian is a genius.

Here's our engagement story:

I was working for a major electronic store. That day I was working in the customer service department in the front of the store, which was not the usual because I usually worked on the floor installing end cap displays.

If you walk into an electronic store you can almost always hear music playing through the store's surround sound system. My sweetie used this opportunity for his advantage. He talked with one of my co-workers and arranged to have my favorite song, which was Say Yes by Floetry, to play on the store's sound system.

I was working at the customer service desk and the song started playing, next think you know, his mother and 2 sisters walk in with roses. They give me the roses and he then walks in with a dozen roses. He gets down on one knee and asks me to marry him...I say yes, which was the connection with the song. Surprisingly no customers came to the customer service department to disturb the proposal. That was definitely God's will.

Jess said...

How sweet! Love is in the air!!!!!!!

Barbara said...

That was so sweet, Dionne! Mine was so mundane...not even worth repeating. I love romance!

caroline @ patagonia gifts said...

awww such a sweet story, Dionne! loved it! happy monday, darling! xo

Fash Boulevard said...

omg. love this. beyond glad I found your blog. I'm a new follower, I hope you will as well. I started my blog a little over 2 months ago after graduating from college in the South and moving across the counrty. It's all about celebrity fashion from the point of view of an LA stylist. Stop by to see multiple post a day on all the latest celebrity fashion news. Would love your support. xoxo

www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

Elle Sees said...

gahhhhh! i love engagement stories too. le sigh.

Rhônya Holman said...

What a beautiful engagement story! You both really meant to be together, thats why things worked out so well.

Sunshine & smiles to you always! =(^.^)=

YnR said...

I love when it seems that two were just destined to be together. Usually it's simple details that make it seem like it was fate for lovers, but wow those were pretty big 'coincidences' for you too :)! What a lovely engagement!

Zoe said...

I really love engagement stories and yours is great! I go gushy over anything engagement/wedding type thing.

Zoe xx
Life of a Vegetarian Girl

Natalie Nicole said...

Your story is quite darling :) I love reading engagement stories on blogs (it seems like bloggers' husbands/fiancés are so creative about it).