Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Confection Concerns

Sweets are so bad but so good.

My aunt is not supposed to eat many sweets, but when she was here on vacation with my brother, she insisted that she have a lot. She said she was on vacation, so she wanted to live it up. Part of me wanted to allow her that luxury, but the other part of me wanted her to take it easy. What would you do in that situation?

;;;Photobucket

Speaking of sweets - our apartment complex is having a Bake Sale to raise money for a local shelter, and I am one of the "bakers", so I am trying to come up with some fun desserts to make that will hopefully sell. Any suggestions?

Here are some of my recent baking endeavors.

Photobucket

For the recipes to these, meet me after the jump...


S'MORE CUPCAKES

Ingredients
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 1/3 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- dash of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup vanilla soy milk (you can use regular milk if you aren't a fan of soy)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- a bag of marshmallows
- a bar of chocolate that has breakable little rectangles (I used Hershey's because it was leftover from the s'mores we made on our recent camping trip)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees farenheit.
2. Combine the graham cracker crumbs, 1/3 cup of the sugar and the butter together in a bowl.
3. Pack this mixture equally into the bottom of your lined cupcake tins. This is your cupcake base.
4. Bake this mix for 5 minutes and then remove from oven and set aside.
5. Beat together the eggs, milk, vanilla essence and vegetable oil until combined.
6. Sift in the dry ingredients and then whisk until incorporated and smooth.
7. Add the boiling water and stir together carefully.
8. Pour the mixture into your cupcake molds and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until done, then set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
9. Put your marshmallows into a microwave proof bowl and heat in microwave for about 30 seconds or more if not softened.
10. Spoon this softened marshmallow mixture onto each cupcake, and if you have a blowtorch, you can shoot the top of each marshmallow dollop to give it that toasty campfire look and texture.
12. Add a piece of chocolate to the top of each piece.

LIME VANILLA YOGURT CUPCAKES
For these cupcakes, you can use your favorite vanilla cupcake recipe, and just substitute the milk with vanilla yogurt, and add 3 tablespoons of lime juice. Then instead of icing, top them with vanilla yogurt and sprinkle with fresh lime zest.



38 comments:

Almalu's Place said...

I have to try those s'mores cupcakes!!they should be heavenly good!

lark + linen said...

oh dear. I'm just going to HAVE to try those s'more cupcakes. They sound incredible!

Melanie's Randomness said...

Smore cupcakes? Yummy....I hear ya on your aunt. My dad isn't supposed to have that many sweets so I feel bad that my mom and I come home from cupcake decorating class with a full batch of sugary goodness. We give him one...or try to only give him 1. =)

Melanie's Randomness

Caroline said...

Those cupcakes look heavenly. I would probably try and recreate desserts that were healthy ... maybe ones with fruit and then make a splurge dessert. That is a tough question. XO!

Dancing Branflake said...

These look fantastic! What a sweet niece you are!

Sam {fitnessfoodandfaith.blogspot.com} said...

i'm sure any of your gorgeous cupcakes will sell!!

i would have a hard time telling someone "no" to an extra treat while on vacation, but i'm too much of a softie!

JuneBug said...

Whoooaaa! They both look delicious, and just the thing for my sweet tooth!

abigail said...

now I want cupcakes for lunch.

Kris said...

YUM I could go for the lime one!What about a PB&J inspired cupcake? Or Peanut Butter and Banana like the fried elvis sandwich?

Signe said...

Your LIME VANILLA YOGURT CUPCAKES looks amazing! *Drool*

Hugs,
Signe

Mechelle said...

They both look so yummy! What about a red velvet cake.

Concerning your aunt watching her sugar intake. There is a new cupcakery (I made that up) called Gimme some Suga. They have sugarfree cupcakes.

caroline @ patagonia gifts said...

oh they look so yummy! and what a difficult question you have for us! my own kid loves sweets so much and I always try to make him eat less, but it's so difficult! xo

Merylu said...

I love your illustration of the day!
And mmmm...those cupcakes! They look delicious! I'll try to make them soon...
greetings from Italy :)

the southern hostess said...

You are such an amazing baker! These both look delicious!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I like to make the traditional recipe for lemon squares with one little tweek. After the crust has baked, I add a layer of apricot jam before I pour the lemon mixture on it. This would sell well.

But so would your cupcakes.

fondly,
Glenda

P.S. You have a great sweet heart, Dionne. Hope your bake sale is fantastic.

shealennon said...

Ooh, a bake sale, how fun! Those s'more cupcakes look amazing, so I'm sure they'd sell like hotcakes. I always go for the classics at bake sales: choc. chip cookies or fudgy brownies. Mmm!

Colores said...

Great illustrations and I am more than sure that that cupcake sale will be sold out! delicious!

Zoe said...

These look so so yummy!x

simply objekts said...

look delicious! lime vanilla for me please. can i make it 2?
enjoy your day :)

Jesse said...

those lime vanilla yogurt minicakes look so light and refreshing, perfect for spring. you might also try my mini lemon cheesecakes, they were a big hit in our neighborhood last week:)

Chapstick Fanatic said...

i am definitely going to have to try those lime mini cakes. they seem perfect for spring!

thanks for stopping by the blog!!
http://lachapstickfanatique.blogspot.com

Audra said...

S'more cupcakes, are you kidding me???? I can't imagine a more delicious dessert - my two favorite treats in one!

Nuha said...

yummmm! the smore cupcakes look delicious!

Barbara said...

Tough decision regarding your aunt. I guess you have to let her do her own thing and hope for the best. She probably gets enough nagging at home. (but then, if she's staying with you, you'll have to deal with the consequences!)

As for the bake sale, my vote is 100% behind those s'more cupcakes!!

Courtney Dirks said...

I'm trying to tame my sweet tooth lately & I'm doing a terrible job of it!! Like meeting a girlfriend last night for wine and chocolate molten lava cake! Yikes!
Both of these desserts look fabulous Dionne. I think you're going to be the belle of the bake sale ball!

Phoenix said...

The S'mores cupcakes are freakin' adorable, Dionne. You always come up with such awesome, creative ideas. If you're feeling adventurous, maybe you could come up with some cupcakes or a mini-dessert decorated with what the shelter represents? Hey, if anyone can do it, you can!

As for your aunt - that's a toughie, because you want her to make healthy choices, but she's an adult and is supposed to make them on her own. I dunno - what did you end up doing? Did you talk to her or just shrug it off?

Dionne said...

Thanks everyone!

Tracy, I commented to her in a joking tone (so she didn't feel like I was trying to mother her) "naughty, naughty, that's a lot of dessert you're eating! You better be careful!"

I didn't want to outright tell her to stop, so I did it in a carefree tone. But I guess if you're gonna splurge, vacation is the time to do it!

Sey said...

those cupcakes are mouth watering. Now I have to run out and look for some cup cakes to ease my cravings. Those will surely hit the ball and good luck to your fund raising project.

Tender Branson said...

Oh, oh vanilla and lime? Wonderful! I usually let people eat how they want to eat. In that case, I'd probably try to steer away from sweets if possible.

Lily from Birch + Bird said...

YUM! Those s'mores cupcakes look especially divine...I think I'll make them for my son's birthday party coming up. Thanks for sharing...xo

MICHELLE said...

That's a tough situation - it's hard not to sound "holier than thou" when talking about eating things in moderation. Because everyone needs to cheat once in awhile. :) But I just let other people make their own decisions - we can really only control our own!

Samantha said...

My grandfather isn't limited as to what he should eat, but when I come to visit (which isn't often :( ) he likes to take me out. What my grandmother and I try to do is let him cheat a little but steer away from from it when we know that he has had too much in the nicest way possible by saying something like "oh, I would rather go somewhere else" or "I've had way to much today maybe tomorrow."

Mekkan said...

I know how your aunt felt. I would have said the same thing if I were visiting you on vacation and saw delicious food. In fact when having lunch or tea with my friends, I always declare "I'll start going on a diet tomorrow again."

caroline @ patagonia gifts said...

just wanted to stop by and say hello, darling! happy monday! xo

oh, hello friend. said...

Seriously friend, I think you need to open your own bake shop one day. It'd be such a hit!

I probably shouldn't eat so many sweets like your Aunt, but sometimes I can't just help myself! ;) They're sooo good!

Kristin said...

the minicakes are making my mouth water! I have a great recipe for blondie cupcakes, if you want it, just shoot me an email. There's also nothing like a perfect chocolate chip cookie at a bake sale, if you ask me. now i'm feeling like I need some dessert! xoxo, K

rebecca said...

i have been making sea salt brownies almost every weekend. i think they would be a hit, for sure.

cailen ascher said...

i love s'mores. i love cupcakes. put them together...even better!