Friday, February 25, 2011

Apartment Bakery

I go on baking binges.

.....Photobucket

Our apartment often smells like bread, or rising cake in the oven. And over the last two weeks it seems like we live in a mini bakery.

Photobucket
Photobucket

The other week I experimented making Brioche for the first time, and decided to make it two ways - a sweet version to have with marmalade for breakfast, and a savory version for fluffy sandwiches for lunch.

Then yesterday I had some leftover pork sausage, so I decided to make Stromboli, which is basically an Italian turnover filled with meats and sauces - it's delicious! For the recipes, meet me after the jump.



SAVORY BRIOCHE
(recipe adapted from Donna Hay)

Ingredients:
3 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 tablespoon lukewarm water
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons milk
1 2/3 cups flour
2 beaten eggs
1 cup cubed butter
1 tablespoon honey (this is my addition)
1 tablespoon dry basil (my other addition - basil is great in sweet or savory breads)

Directions:
- Stir the yeast and water together in a bowl and leave to bubble for 10 minutes.
- Mix the flour and egg in with the bubble yeast until combined.
- Combine the milk, honey, basil, sugar and salt in a separate bowl and then add to the yeast and flour mix. Mix for about 5 minutes.
- Add the butter cubes and beat until glossy and elastic.
- Place dough in a bowl and cover with a towel. Set aside to rise for 2-3 hours or until it doubles in size.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees farenheit.
- After the dough has risen, divide it into 4 pieces and knead into balls.
- Place these balls in a row in a loaf tin and cover with the towel to rise for another hour.
- Make a cut along the middle of each ball and then brush with the extra egg and bake for 35-40 minutes.

(To make the Sweet Brioche, roll the dough out flat to about 17 x 10 inches. Stir 1/4 tablespoon cinnamon with 1/4 cup sugar and sprinkle over the dough. Roll the dough into a roll and then trim the edge and cut into about 12-14 slices, depending on how big you want them. Place the rolls ends-up side by side in a tart pan and cover to rise for an hour. Then brush the dough with egg and sprinkle with sugar and bake for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees farenheit).

STROMBOLI DOUGH
(You can fill it with whatever sauce and meat that you want - I filled mine with pork meatballs and bolognese sauce)

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon active dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1 1/3 cups water
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon dry oregano
1 teaspoon crushed pepper
4 cups flour

Directions:
- Combine the water, yeast and sugar and set aside to bubble for 10 minutes
- Stir in the salt, olive oil, and dry spices.
- Add the flour in gradually and stir until it all comes together (you can use your hands once it becomes difficult).
- Knead the dough until well-combined and then cover and set aside to rise for two hours or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees farenheit.
- Divide the dough into two pieces (for two separate strombolis) and roll into rectangles.
- Spread your sauce thickly over the dough (the thicker the better, it's nice to have lots of sauce in these), but leave about half an inch around the edges uncovered.
- Place your meat over the sauce and sprinkle with lots of cheese.
- Fold the dough over to seal in the filling and then bake for 25-30 minutes.

46 comments:

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

Gorgeous art work and pictures (as usual) you ave me drooling :)

caroline @ patagonia gifts said...

oh my goodness, Dionne! those brioches look delish! both versions! happy friday, darling! xo

Brandi {not your average ordinary} said...

I think this post is going to set me on a baking binge. It's been some time since I've made a good brioche. I'm going to compile a shopping list and get started after a quick trip to the store. Happy weekend, Dionne! Thanks for the wonderful inspiration.

Missy said...

Thank you for checking out my Blog! Your blog is super cute! I 'll be following you! hope we can follow eachother!

Peace
Missy
http://throughanindielens.blogspot.com/

Almalu's Place said...

everything looks so stasty!!you made me feel hungry!!!;)

Meg said...

mmm yum! i'm adding these to my "to bake" list :) i go on baking binges too, but sadly i also fall out of love with baking... i think it's time to get back into it this week.

Kelly J. R. said...

I think I just may have to try the stomboli. Yum! You make so many different varieties of goodies. What are some of your favorite cookbooks or do you just fly by the seat of your pants?

Sarah said...

looks like i'm making strombolis tonight. thank you for the recipe!

avant garde design said...

wow, do i ever want to hang out in your kitchen, i'm a complete bread~aholic! seriously i am ;) those all look over the top divine! have a great weekend, baking and eating...

Dancing Branflake said...

That looks amazing! I have never made one but I think I might have to.

Nuha said...

oh my goodness, from now on you will forever be my best friend!! These look so good!

Nicole said...

YUM! Can I please stay at your apartment-bakery!? I never tried stromboli until this Christmas, when my best friend and her husband made it for me. They used their own family recipe (which of course made it that much better). It was DELICIOUS! I would love some right about now!

Silver Strands said...

I'm in a baking mood today .. thanks for the recipes - they'll get me going!

Colores said...

uhmmmm look delicious!!! I can imagine the lovely smell in your appartment! delicious!!!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Do your apartment neighbors come knocking, when those delicious smells waft their way? YUM.

Fondly,
Glenda

Sam {fitnessfoodandfaith.blogspot.com} said...

Beautiful pictures!! I'm sure your home smells lovely from all the treats :)

Tamuna said...

Oh! What a divine blog! Thanks for stopping by and introducing me to your little world!

xx,
A Journey to Style

the chirpy bird said...

ummm! Holy heck... I'm making that meatball stromboli for SURE! That's just insanity. Plain ol' insanity!
xx tash

the chirpy bird said...

p.s. how could I not become a follower after that?!
x

the chirpy bird said...

UMMM!! YEAH!!! You name it, I'm there with the Vegemite and Pavs.... not to be mixed of course :)
xx

The Cherry Blog said...

yum yum - utterly delicious drawings too! xx

JuneBug said...

your art is amazing, and the brioche(s) look so tantalizing :)

Gloria said...

oh my goodness, please adopt me! that stromboli looks unbelievable!

Felicity said...

Hey Dionne,

What a way to start my day with these images of deliciousness!

Thank you for popping in and leaving a note at my place, it meant that I could follow you back to yours and what a place it is!

I've had a little explore and am blown away by the art, the lovely things you share and your writing.
Being a fairly newly-minted blogger I am always inspired by those who have been honing their craft for a while and it seems there is much to learn from you.

It's ovely to learn that you're a Noosa girl too.
The surprise that I was going to share with my Gifters before the bug kicked in has somthing to do with our pocket of the world, but it will have to wait until next Friday now.

Looking forward to following you and being inspired,

Felicity x
www.giftsofserendipity.com

jessica said...

mmmh what hungry, Dionne.. very nice to give us the ingredients.. love brioches.i come frome italy and france..the home of brioches, but i can to do this..i send you a message to say if there's good or not!

the southern hostess said...

That savory brioche has my name on it.

Sey said...

Now I'm getting hungry. I would love to live in your apartment and have my delicious and mouth watering food everyday. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Mekkan said...

It's Saturday morning here in Japan.
Oh, Dionne, you make me hungry. I can even smell the bread! How I wish I could knock on your door! Have a nice weekend.

orchid said...

Craving for these gorgeous hand made pastry(hope it is the right word). I admire your efforts to make them♡♡♡ Also, I wish to live in the apartment like yours D;)

K said...

I'm so jealous! I never get around to cooking. That's something that I need to work on.

Jess said...

Oh yum! I bet your apt. always smells amazing!!!

Mechelle said...

Dionne that looks so yummy!Why must you tempt me?

A Certain Vintage said...

brioche is one of my all time favourite things but meatballs in bread...speechless! i want to try that so badly!
xox

Torie Jayne said...

Everything look so beautiful and yummy! Have a sweet day!

simply objekts said...

wow! yummy! i want! i need! sweet brioche with marmalade. now!
enjoy your weekend

Zoe said...

Your brioche looks amazing! I love sweet brioche for breakfast, and brioche bread and butter pudding, so yummy!

Thank you also for your lovely comments on my blog :)

Love Zoe xx

Tender Branson said...

Love, love, love me some stromboli. Yours looks great. Can't wait to give the recipe a try.

Rachel said...

Oh my...dinner and dessert! I'm not much of a baker but I just might have to attempt your recipes.

Diana Mieczan said...

Ohh you dont even know how happy I am with this post...I also love love love baking and I cant wait to try Stromboli! Fantastic and wish you a lovely Sunday, darling
Kisses

Barbara said...

I'll be right over.....that stromboli looks divine!

Debra said...

Oh my all of this food looks so good they are making me very hungry.

a little bit of sunshine said...

OMG thank you for sharing the stromboli recipe! -i can't wait to try it!!!

Kaye Prince said...

Oh Dionne! You're making me hungry - and I just finished dinner! I'll definitely be trying out the stromboli recipe!

shealennon said...

Can I tell you how much I'm drooling right now? I'm going to have to try one, if not both, of these recipes soon!

Lindsey said...

Why oh why are you not 400 lbs?!

I can't make things like this because a) I don't eat meat so, b) if I bake something sans meat, Jon wont' eat it and I eat the WHOLE thing!

Tender Branson said...

Used your dough recipe this weekend. Beautiful stuff. I am posting a recipe now which will link to your dough.