Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Sweets for Breakfast

Imagine it's a cozy Sunday morning.

You're lying in bed and hear the pitter-patter of soft rain outside, and when you open your eyes you can see a smattering of rain drops across your bedroom window. The sky is a soft grey. Not dark and ominous, but not bright and cheery either. It that lovely in-between color that makes all the grass look bright green outside.

...Photobucket


What's on the menu for breakfast?

We've been having a lot of sweet breakfasts lately. I think because I like to bake, I have an abundance of sweet supplies to make warm and pretty breakfasts. French Toast, Waffles, Pancakes, Scones with jam... sweet breakfasts make me think of fairy tales and picnics in the living room, of eating by the window and watching the rain fall down with Frank Sinatra playing in the background...

Photobucket

Sweet breakfasts seem like a special treat to me. What was the last sweet breakfast you had?

UPDATE: So many of you have asked about the recipes for these. So here they are - come follow me after the jump!


CHAI PANCAKES

Ingredients:
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
(the above ingredients are for making your own chai from scratch. If you don't want to make your own, you can just use 1 cup of premade chai)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of flour
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 tablespoons sugar (add more if you like your pancakes really sweet. I like to drench mine in lots of syrup, so I usually don't make my pancakes too sweet since they'll eventually be covered in maple syrup)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- a dash of salt

Directions:
- Whisk chai ingredients together until mixed well, and then add the other wet ingredients
- Once the wet ingredients are all combined, add in all the dry ingredients and mix until a fluffy batter is formed
- Fry them up in a fry pan just like you'd fry up regular pancakes

BANANA FRENCH TOAST WITH SWEET RICOTTA VANILLA BEAN FILLING

Ingredients:
- 4 slices of the bread of your choice (each stack takes 2 slices of bread, so this recipe will make 2 stacks)
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 banana
- 8 tablespoons ricotta cheese (each layer of bread has 2 tablespoons of cheese between them)
- 1 vanilla bean (or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence if you don't have beans)
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- icing sugar to dust
- maple syrup for drizzling

Directions:
- Beat the eggs until fully incorporated and then add the milk, heavy cream, half the brown sugar and cinnamon and whisk
- In another bowl, whisk together the ricotta with the remaining 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar and the vanilla
- chop your banana into slices at whatever thickness you desire
- If you want them to look like mine, cut off the crust from your slices of bread
- Heat the butter on a frying pan and then dip each bread slice into the egg mixture to coat both sides
- Fry each side of the bread until golden
- Remove bread from pan and cut in half
- Take your ricotta mix and slather it over one of the French Toast halves
- Then add slices of banana
- Then top with another French Toast half and continue to layer like the first one
- Once your stack is complete, dust it with icing sugar and finish it off with a few slices of banana and a generous drizzling of maple syrup

Happy Sweet Breakfasting, my friends!

30 comments:

Renee said...

That breakfast looks great! Unfortunately, since I'm over 40, sweet breakfasts are a thing of the past. Those pounds pack on very easily! lol

Bethany Dirksen said...

CHAI PANCAKES!!! I'm going to need to look up that recipe immediately.

Melanie's Randomness said...

I love sweet breakfasts. My boyfriend is obsessed with cinnabons so he'll buy the pillsbury ones and make them sometimes when I sleep over his house. It's an amazing morning.

Banana french toast with sweet vanilla bean ricotta looks so unbelievable delicious. Omg like seriously. is that something you made? Is there a recipe? I would love to know!!

Dionne said...

Bethany and Melanie, I am not sure if there are official recipes for these, but I am sure that someone else has made them in the past, so there will probably be something online. These are just things that I concocted with stuff i had in the fridge and pantry. I can email you guys what I used if you give me your email addresses.

the southern hostess said...

What a beautiful post! These breakfasts look delicious.

caroline @ patagonia gifts said...

hmmm looks delish. but I'm with Renee... it's been a long time since I had a sweet breakfast... every pound counts! xo

minnja said...

Soooo lovely:))))

xoxo
minnja

http://minnja.blogspot.com/

Dancing Branflake said...

Incredible!!! You need to design menus or something (maybe you do already). This post is absolutely perfection and makes me so incredibly happy.

Natalie Nicole said...

If you don't mind my asking, may I also have the recipe list for how to make the pancakes (email: nngraves9@gmail.com)? I'm very impressed that you were able to throw together such a lovely breakfast without the help of a recipe. You're an artist in more than just one way.
Also, the imagery you used at the beginning of the post takes me back to those slow, rainy days of summer when it was just me, my miniature sheltie Miller (who died this past August due to kidney failure), and a cup of hot tea always soon joined by an irresistable urge to write.
Thank you for the inspiration.

wishful nals said...

mmmm, this is drool-worthy. chai pancakes?! can i come over for breakfast? :)

Phoenix said...

I normally don't do sweets for breakfast, but chocolate croissants (and chocolate chip cookies) are both very nice to have first thing in the morning. :)

brookeiam said...

oh my gosh those look amazing!! my sister and i were proud of ourselves for making french toast for breakfast the other day...but that picture definitely puts our french toast to shame! haha

i love your blog and i'm so glad i found it!! definitely following :)

<3, brooke

jennifer ▲ i art u said...

i can't get over these sweet breakfast treats!! any chance you'll be posting the recipes?!

and how sweet that you have a soft spot for slo! we've been living here for a year now and loving it!
will you be visiting any time?? :)
j.

Nicole said...

OH MY GOSH. We were SO separated at birth. I love having sweets for breakfast... which is why i treated myself to a sticky bun this morning! OH, and I especially love having leftover cake for breakfast! Yum, yum, yum! Extra incentive to get out of bed in the morning!

The banana french toast looks amazing! I wish I could have breakfast for lunch and dinner too...

Merylu said...

Those pancakes look so yummy! And your illustration is great :)
I always drink milk with cookies for breakfast, sometimes some yogurt, and always a cup of warm coffee :) I love breakfast!

shealennon said...

Those breakfasts look beautiful and delicious. I love homemade waffles and french toast...mmmm! I got my pretty votive from your giveaway today :) Thank you!

Kristin said...

those look amazing!

I have missed you and your sweet photos. ;-)

We had baked french toast (for dinner!) the other night, so that's my last sweet "breakfast."

What's the secret to chai pancakes? I'd love to try them.

Little Miss Tiara said...

i wanna have mom like you... sweets for breakfast!!! lololol... and ahhhh those looks really yummmmm... x9

Bridget said...

chai pancakes?! what do those even taste like? i need to try.

i made chocolate & cheese croissants yesterday and they were delicious.

Carissa said...

oh my, I want, no, I NEED that banana french toast!! looks AMAZING! I'm trying to think of my last sweet breakfast... lately I've just been having cereal. boring, I know. but I think the last time I went out for breakfast, to the Griddle Cafe, is when I had a really good sweet breakfast... with those banana pancakes I posted about. but funny enough, I usually get a savory breakfast. but I'd sing a different tune if you made that french toast for me, hehe :)

Tender Branson said...

Yep, we must've been thinking the same thing. Two of my three favorite sweet breakfasts, pancakes and french toast. Those chai cakes look ridiculously good. I love the idea of banana on french toast.

Signe said...

Dionne dear, is there anything you can't do? You make amazing drawings, you write well and you make banana French toast for breakfast?!

Any chance you would like to adopt me? :D

How do you make that banana French toast btw, any chance you have a link with a recipe?

Have a sweet Wednesday :)

Vanessa Mala/HeightofVintage said...

I have the biggest sweet tooth! :)
Pancakes...YUM!

Dee, I'm having a vintage fashion show tomorrow at Antique Nouveau Art Bar, starts at 8pm...hope you can make it :)

Holly Knitlightly said...

Um, could I come over for breakfast please? hehe. I'm bookmarking this page for the lovely recipes! Thank you Dionne!

Kristin said...

That is definitely my kind of breakfast. My sweet tooth is incurable!

Sam said...

Bennett comes home from being out of town on Sunday...I'm thinking banana french toast with sweet vanilla bean ricotta would be the perfect treat for him to return to! thanks for posting :) and your pics are gorgeous, as always!

GloamingDesigns said...

you had me at chai pancakes! ;) can't wait to try them. just a quick question: you note one cinnamon stick for the chai - do you just infuse the milk with it and then take it out?

thanks!!

lark + linen said...

I could eat sweets for breakfast, lunch and dinner! Unfortunately my boyfriend does not feel the same, and alas I only end up making pancakes with my girlfriends.

Liesl @ FabulousFashions4SensibleStyle said...

Oh my goodness, this looks like a divine breakfast!

Liesl :)

Mia said...

wow! looks really delicious! suddenly craving for pancakes now! :D

-Mia
http://miafied.blogspot.com