Thursday, November 18, 2010

Saved Pretties

My Dad isn't your average male.

When he married my mum, he had a "Glory Box" full of stuff he'd purchased over the years for the home he was going to share with his future wife. I am not sure if "Glory Boxes" are common everywhere, but in Australia, it's a box where you start putting away things that you would like in your future home. You might see a lovely tablecloth in a store one day, so you'd buy it and tuck it away in this box to be opened after your wedding day. So by the time you are married, you have a box of lovely items ready for your new home. It is definitely not common for a MAN to have one of these boxes.

Photobucket

I never had a Glory Box. I do like the idea of having a similar type of box that you put away things for your future child. I have been collecting Children's books over the years for my future kidlets, but I also like the idea of putting aside other little treasures. Like some of the loveliness I see at Baby Jives.

Photobucket

Jahje, the owner of this lovely, whimsical store has stocked it with darling handmade mobiles and sculptures, crafted with pretty textiles. When she made her first mobile for her son nearly two years ago, a lot of people asked her if they could buy one, and after the suggestion of a friend who was selling on Etsy, she started to put together her inventory to open up her store.

This talented woman also loves to cook. In her home in Philadelphia, Jahje is always concocting delicious vegetarian meals. She proudly told me that the town she lives in is like a small town, with a "front porch culture", where people actually smile at each other. It's good to know that places like that still exist!

Photobucket

As you can tell from her store, some of Jahje's favorite colors are shades of teal and turquoise with splashes of chocolate brown, and you can also recognize her inspiration is drawn from nature. Spending time in the outdoors with her family is important to her - she even grows some of her own food in her back garden, where she likes to sit and relax and watch the sparrows hop around.

Jahje is giving one lucky reader a custom Single Bird Branch. To enter, please check out her store to get a feel for her creations and let me know what colors you would like to see in her future mobiles. You can also check out her facebook page if you'd like to see more of her work. I will announce the winner next week.

(PS. Jahje is offering
free shipping on any single bird on branch mobiles called "A little bird told me" - just type "City of Dionne" in the message to sender when checking out and the shipping price for the single bird on branch will be refunded to you via paypal within 24 hours. Yay!)

(PPS. The winners of the Margrietje giveaway are Tali and Caroline).

32 comments:

cuppycakeme said...

LOVE the little bird sculptures!!

www.cuppycakeme.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

These are so pretty! I'd love one in a carrot color and pink for Lucy's room!

Melanie's Randomness said...

I've heard of the future box being called a "Glory Box". That is so sweet about your father. I've never had a box of future goodies but I'm thinking of starting one. I love these lil birdies & mobiles. They are so cute!! I would maybe like to see some more purples but the colors she does have are so pretty!! =)

Melanie's Randomness

caroline @ patagonia gifts said...

oh those birdies are SO cute. I think I could start my 'glory box' with them. xo

Lily @ Birch + Bird said...

I haven't heard the term Glory Boxes before but my mom bought me a Hope Chest when I was in my early teens...I still use it as a side table in my living room!

I love BabyJives shop and would love to see a birdie in an antique pink to match the room my girls share :)
The raindrops mobile is too cute...perfect for those of us who live on the West Coast!

Jingle said...

These are gorgeous! What a neat little thing! I would love to see more in deep purples!

Nicole Egerer said...

What a sweet idea! I LOVE that your Dad had a 'glory box'. I too have a small collection of baby goodies for our future children :)

Those are cute birdies and mobiles!
Thanks for sharing!

Kind Regards,
Nicole

Lisa Marie said...

a simple gesture of innocence and color me happy with with any statement of bold! this is definately a treasure to have and to hold for that special future plan.

aeb said...

These are so lovely! My daughter's room is light purple and brown, but I love all the colors you featured in the photos!

Julia said...

I live in the north, and one of the nicest winter treats here are the little grey and brown birds flashing their colourful breasts. I'd love to see a mobile combining neutrals with the lovely colours currently on offer.

sugareaterATgmailDOTcom

Gloria said...

i wish i had known about glory boxes - the idea of it is so sweet!

Caroline said...

I love the idea of a glory box but had never heard of the term. I've been doing that for a while now; when I see something that is too good to pass up, I justify my purchases that way.
What a beautiful shop! Jahje's creations are just lovely! My favorite color combination in her etsy shop is red gold and snow white! So perfect for the holidays but not so in-your-face.
=]

the runaway romantique said...

That's a lovely idea! I wonder if it's too late to start one (since I'm already married but we haven't bought our house yet).

You have such a lovely and inspirational blog! Just wanted to drop by and say hi :)

- the runaway

Laura said...

Hi darling! You know,we've got something similar to your father's glory-box,here in Italy(expecially in the South-Centre). I find it so careful and romantic..
Ps:I'm running to see Babilives shop!
Have a great weekend.
Laura@RicevereconStile

barbarabeesblog said...

This work is so amazing, I especially like the kissing birds, cute and stunning. I never quite understood how one could do this. Great Job.

Christina- floresdelsol said...

i love the glory box idea!

i would love to see colors of buttercup yellow and orange.

Signe said...

Such an amazing giveaway this time, love all her work! I would love to see something in cold purples and blues, sort of a frosty look.

And I also love the glory box idea, never heard of it before :)

Have a fab weekend Dionne!

Barbara said...

We always called them Hope Chests. I like the name Glory Box much better!

The blue birds on the branch are by far my favorite, Dionne.

Carissa said...

what an adorable story about your dad and his glory chest! that is such a fun idea!

these mobiles are great too... love the sparrows! my friend is expecting, I bet she'd love one in her baby girl's nursery! as for new colors, I love pale yellow... that would go great with all the blues!

Andrée Lachapelle said...

Those are all so lovely. The colours I would like to see are bright turquoise/yellow, as well as fuschia/golden/buttery yellow.

Keep up the great work!
MissAndree at Hotmail.com
http://andreelachapelle.blogspot.com/

Tali Schiffer said...

I am so happy I won last week's!! Thanks Dionne :)

cookie said...

I remember my "hope chest" items, not the physical chest, but the collection. In 1974 it was Japanese-made stainless flatware and avocado green enamel cookware, a premium from the long defunct Red Owl grocery. Some sea-shell patterned bed sheets, a granny-square afgan...all of it traveled from Minnesota to Alaska in the back of a mint green Chevy pickup. The items and the marriage are long gone...hope survives.

Madeline... said...

I say the more realistic the better! The bluebirds are gorgeous...deep blues and lighter accents. What a fun way to express your creative energies! Her art is fantastic!

Rebekka Seale said...

Your blog is so awesome! So glad to have "accidentally" stumbled across it this morning...

:)

Rebekka

Lee said...

What lovely birds! I would like to see some in purples!

Sarah said...

Glory boxes, eh? Now that's something America needs to grab ahold of! :)

What a smiley blog this turned out to be.

Sabine said...

It would be cool to see a series of tropical fish mobiles. Vivid reds, yellows and oranges with turquoise oceans! Great for a baby to focus on or anyone else to hang and enjoy.

Ann
mycriticaleye.com

Lindsey said...

I have admired Jahje's shop for awhile now and if there's another baby in our future, there WILL be a Baby Mobile in it's nursery! I just love these sweet birds, in any color combination!

Holly Knitlightly said...

I just love the idea of a Glory Box! I think I may start one. :) I love that your dad had one!

Her mobiles are ADORABLE. She uses such pretty colours! I think if she used some corals it could be really pretty.

Jrsygurl4life said...

I would love one of these mobiles!!! My daughter's nursery is a bird theme.

I would like to see purples and yellows. Although, I love the blue one pictured above :)

Gary said...

Glory boxes sound like a great idea!

I think hot pink or yellow/gray would be good options to consider. Hope to win this mobile!!

Dionne said...

Thanks for your entries, this giveaway is now closed.