Friday, November 12, 2010

Dessert Contest

I have now been baking and cooking for a little over two years.

I remember the first time I ever baked in my life was just a few days before my wedding in October of 2008. I can't believe I had gone so long without ever having opened an oven door! I had cooked before, but perhaps only three of four times was it anything more than "bachelor-style" cooking that only required boiling water, dropping pasta, and a jar of store-bought pasta sauce.

Since getting married, I decided that I wanted to really get into cooking and baking - and have fallen in love with it. After photography and graphic design, it's one of my favorite hobbies. I really enjoy coming up with my own recipes, and also like to discover recipes online that have a fun twist to them.

Photobucket
Photobucket

I made the Lemongrass Vanilla Bean Pannacotta specifically for a dessert contest hosted by Cathay Pacific Airlines. I had originally wanted to make it more complicated and detailed, but one of the criteria for judging is that the dessert can be easily served on a plane, so I decided to keep it simple. I would LOVE it if you would vote for my dessert!

To vote, all you have to do is:
1. "Like" Cathay Pacific on Facebook.
2. Go to the Art of Dessert Tab.
3. Find my dessert in the Recent Submissions section and "like" it.

I just entered last night, but the contest has been on for about a month, so a lot of entries have a big head-start over mine, so please vote to help me advance in the contest to the next round. Thanks, guys!

For those of you interested in these recipes, I can't take credit for the Jerk Chicken Chili recipe (i found it here), and the Beef Wraps are easy - I just tenderized some beef, fried up some eggplant in garlic and salt, rolled up the beef with the eggplant and tied it with baker's twine, and then carmelized the beef in a pan along with some onions. Soooo simple and sooooo good!

29 comments:

Dancing Branflake said...

Yay! I hope you win! Going there right now!

caroline @ patagonia gifts said...

mmmm they all look SO yummy and beautiful! I'll vote for you. happy weekend! xo

Melanie's Randomness said...

Oh the Lemongrass Vanilla Bean pannacotta looks soooo goood!!! Hmmm Yummy! Good luck in the contest I'll vote! =)

Nicole said...

I can't believe you've only been cooking/baking for two years! Everything you post just looks so WONDERFUL! I always love how you use different kinds of ingredients and spices.

P.S. I loved the booger story comment you left on my post. That definitely got me laughing (and some weird looks in the library form doing so).

Mechelle said...

I can't believe you have only been cooking this short time and making these incredible dishes. What a great wife you are!

shealennon said...

I voted--I hope you win! I can't believe you've only been cooking and baking for such a short time--your food always looks beautiful and delicious!!

Renee said...

I "liked" it! It looks like your likes are getting up there. Yay! Hope you win!

avant garde said...

i'm off to vote for ya too ;) best of luck, i'm sure you'll win! those images all look delish and very professional. you should definitely keep going with it and see where it takes you. have a great weekend!

Torie Jayne said...

They all look so yummy! Have a sweet day!

a little bit of sunshine said...

-Good Luck!

PS. OMG the blueberry chocolate napoleon looks AMAZINGLY DELISH!

Signe said...

Oh my god the Lemongrass Vanilla Bean Pannacotta looks amazing!
Best of luck and I will go vote for you :)

Jen said...

Oh my gosh, those beef wraps look amazing!! So something that I'd devour! ;-)

Laura said...

Done it! I've voted for you..I adore blueberry+Chocolate!(Everything seems to be done by a 5star-chef!) And I adore your blog!
Thanks for your comment,hope one day You'll like to follow me!
Laura@RicevereconStile

Caroline said...

Here's to hoping you win! Just "liked" it =]
The jerk chicken chili looks fabulous! Isn't it so satisfying to be able to create something so delicious?
Hope you're having a wonderful weekend, Dionne!

November Grey said...

those look amazingly delicious!

xx

November Grey

Pop over for an awesome Art Giveaway

Bunny B said...

Voted for you! Hope you win :)

Meg said...

i am happy to give you my vote... good luck in the contest! and keep posting pictures of your delicious food :)

Tender Branson said...

From the look of your food, I can't believe you just started cooking and baking two years ago. How did you eat before that?

You got my vote.

Meghan said...

Ahh! So exciting! Best of luck, Dionne!

LBB said...

Can't believe you've only been cooking/baking for 2 years! Your food photos of the thinks you make are always stunning and amaze me! Good luck! :)

lark + linen said...

voting!!
everything sounds so amazing. I love classic recipes with a twist. My cousin just introduced me to a jerk chicken salad and it's so simple and so delicious

Diana Mieczan said...

Sweetie, those are so amazing! I so would love to try this lemograss vailla bean pannacotta:) Yummy
Hugs and kisses

Notes from Holly St. said...

these all look soo great! good luck in the contest...i'll be sure to vote :)

photojoy said...

Yay! I got you there. Good luck! You already got more than 100 votes!

jennifer ▲ i art u said...

my mouth is literally watering!! i'm craving something sweet now...

just liked your entry on fb!! i hope you win dionne!!
j.

Gaia said...

I have just voted and I cross my fingers for yoU!!!!
LOL

Little Miss Tiara said...

Dionne!!! *drools* those are all look so yummy ohmygosh! >__< can I have a taste? please? please? please? If you win, should I book a cathay pacific ticket just so I can taste it? lol... they seriously look goooooddd!!! *drooooools*

Holly Knitlightly said...

I just voted and you are in the lead! I'm pretty sure you are going to win, hehe. And I agree with one of the comments from above, it's SO hard to believe that you have been cooking and baking for such a short time! Everything you make looks so delicious and BEAUTIFUL. The way you plate everything looks like you've been working in an up-scale restaurant for YEARS. Good luck with the contest! (Although you don't need it!)

Oh and I sent you an e-mail last week, hopefully you got it and the junk mail folder didn't eat it up!

Tali Schiffer said...

Dionne these are amazing!!!!