Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Pretty Tableware

With fall upon us, it seems to be entertaining season. During the summer everyone likes to go out to have fun, but in the fall, we see a lot more home entertaining. One of my favorite things about Fall is the "togetherness".

..........Photobucket

To me, the table is the heart of the home. It's where you come together to eat, sit around to play boardgames - the table is probably the most social piece of furniture in every home. That's why it's my favorite.

It's also why I love the New York based store Yevgenia. It is a beautiful collection of homeware, perfect for prettying up my favorite piece of furniture. Each piece is handpainted in Yevgenia's signature whimsical style.

Photobucket

Her inspiration comes from happy childhood memories with book illustrations imprinted vividly in her mind. Maps and nature are also strong influences in her design, in addition to her city of New York. Yevgenia calls it a "concentrated ball of energy", with it's large population of artists and stimulating events happening all the time. She loves the color orange because it is fiery and warm and passionate, but without as much drama as red - and uses it a lot when painting on glass and ceramic - her favorite hobby. I love that her hobby has branched out into an etsy store.

Photobucket
Yevgenia has been creating art for as far back as she can recall. Her most recent series include painting on reclaimed old windows that light up and serve dual purposes - an art piece and a light fixture. You can see more of her art here.
Photobucket

Yevgenia is giving one lucky reader one of her beautiful hand-painted glasses. To enter, please leave a comment here telling me what your favorite piece of furniture is and why. I will announce the winner next week.

(PS. The winner of the Pillipilli giveaway is Domestikate. Congrats!)

26 comments:

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

it might sound lame but it's the sofa, I like to curl and enjoy a nice evening!
Thanks!

Melanie's Randomness said...

I love having a nice round table that everyone can sit around and play a game on. I love the fall parties. =)

Ooo those lil glasses are adorable. =)

Natalie Nicole said...

Her work is lovely! Whimsical pieces are my favorite, and I particularly like the recycled teapot. Ooh but the black and white flask vase is also charming.

A good bed, soft with a cozy comforter and fluffed pillows, is my favorite furniture piece. To me, it means resting after a long day of hard work. I try to never do any work while in bed, although I might read a book or watch something lovely like Pride and Prejudice (2005).

Sophia Almada said...

Oddly enough, my favorite piece in my home is the carpet. For some reason, that's where we all would collect after a long day, all laying down, sprawled out with the dog. I don't know, sounds weird but it's what we did and still do.

I love her etsy shop. So glad to see another artist making a living on what they love to do! And this blog is so great for introducing the loveliest of products!

Allison said...

Wow, another great giveaway!
My favorite piece of furniture is definitely my desk. I love having a space that is flexible for getting schoolwork done and spreading out to work on creative projects. Plus, it has a great shelf where I keep pens, markers, and small, inspirational pretties.

Barbara said...

I have an exquisite antique desk....I adore it. But I am hard pressed to choose between it and my mother's antique yellow armoire!
Decisions, decisions! :)

Dancing Branflake said...

I am in love with that large pitcher. It would totally double as a vase. Beautiful details every where!

Erika said...

Her designs are gorgeous! They really do give you that old children's book illustration feel. It's so quaint and lovely!
Mmm, my favorite piece of furniture...That's a difficult choice, but I think I will go with my queen-sized bed. It's my living place - whether it's studying, reading, praying, eating, or sleeping. It's my everything. And I love sleeping! haha! ;-)
Erika P.

Meg said...

i love a big comfy armchair to curl up in. you know, the ones you just sink into and seem to wrap themselves around you while you read a novel & sip a cup of tea? i'm still searching for the perfect one for our new house (and within our new budget) but i'll know it when i see it, and i'll spend all my time in it.

Vanessa Mala/HeightofVintage said...

crushing on that flask vase!

Phoenix said...

I have to say that I love beds. They are my desks, my dining room tables, and my couches all rolled into one - and there's always enough room to snuggle with my boy or my cat (or hey, both!)

Amanda said...

Mmmm, I love my desk. The best place EVER to work in - it just needs a bit in the tidying department. ;)

shealennon said...

I love the bed that's in my guest bedroom, which is kind of odd. But my mom and I found it at a garage sale a long time ago and it is so pretty and if it were bigger it would be in the master bedroom!
shealennon@gmail.com

Caroline said...

In my house, the kitchen table is where we always are. Someone is always cooking and it is a wonderful place for everyone to gather. You can feel the warmth from the oven and hear the voices of people surrounding you; it is a wonderfully comforting feeling.

Julia said...

I love my desk, a 40's homemade vanity style thing that I rescued from layers of paint and plastic stick-on paper. I found it at a garage sale for $10, and spent 3 days sanding it down. The knobs are ceramic ones that were on old cabinets in my parents' house. It has beautifully figured wood and great lines, and even though it's really a bit small, I'll always find a use for it.

sugareaterATgmailDOTcom

Signe said...

oh my, that ceramic travel mug is perfection! and love the herb pods as well :)

Signe said...

lol, totally forgot the question!

I love my bed because sleeping is one of my favorite things to do and my antic closet because it is so pretty :)

Amanda said...

My bed--I'd like a new bigger one, but I love sleeping!

photojoy said...

Hi! I'm back! Thank you for your kind check. Otherwise I don't think I have come up to the surface. (Is this expression correct?)

Alexis said...

Bookshelves are my favorite pieces of furniture, and a cozy chair to pair with them. I just need a place for my books and a place to read them in, and I'm happy. :)

weezie said...

My fav piece of furniture is our off white chaise (or fainting couch) that is near our large front window. i just love sitting there and staring out at our huge oak tree while the leaves turn colour and fall to the ground.

Kaye Prince said...

Hmmm, that's a hard one! I think I'm going to have to with my bed on this one. It was made by my grandfather and is so super-comfy - one of those bed's you just don't want to get out of in the morning!

Alejandra said...

I love the sofa, in my living room, it's the place where my family gets together and talks about anything, but we have fun every time we are in the sofa. I love Yevgenia shop, everything is lovely, I love the ceramic tea mug with infuser.

Samantha said...

Wow..j'adore the black and white flask vase! My favorite piece of furniture is bookshelves : ) I love books and seem to hoard them!

-Samantha
http://sincerelysamantha.com

Dionne said...

Thanks for your entries, this giveaway is now closed.

Bridget said...

do you do the art at the top of each post yourself?! its amazing!!!