Monday, September 27, 2010

Cooking Playlist

As you all know, I love to cook and bake.

But what you don't know is that if I am by myself, I enjoy cooking to music.

.................Photobucket

If you don't do it, you should try it. It definitely helps me to be more creative with my cooking. Here are some of my favorites to create to:

DESSERT PLAYLIST:
I Can't Help Myself (The Four Tops).... for cute, playful desserts.
La Valse D' Amelie (Yann Teiersen)..... for detailed, beautiful pastries.
Viva La Vida (Coldplay) .... for rich layer-cakes.

SAVORY PLAYLIST:
Say Na Say Na (Aneela Mirza).... for experimenting with exotic dishes.
Fly Me To The Moon (Frank Sinatra).... for cooking comfort food.
Mambo Italiano (Dean Martin).... for yummy Italian dinners.

And here are some of the results from over this weekend:

Photobucket

If you like pairing food with music, you must check out Write, Click, Cook, Listen.

For the recipes, meet me after the jump.


STUFFED ZUCCHINI BLOSSOMS:

Ingredients:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup goat cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 teaspoon lemon juice
- 10 zucchini blossoms

Directions:
- Mix the first two ingredients together to make your batter, and then set aside.
- Combine the rest of your ingredients (except the blossoms) into a smooth consistency and spoon into each blossom. To seal them blossoms, twist the tops of the petals together.
- Dip each blossom in the batter and shake of the excess.
- Fry the blossoms for 5-6 minutes in vegetable oil until cooked, turning over to cook each side.

MELTING MOMENTS:

Ingredients:
- 1 stick of butter (half a cup)
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup corn flour
- 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
- juice of two passion fruits --- substitute for 3 tablespoons strawberry jam if doing Strawberry Melting Moments
- a drop of pink food coloring if doing Strawberry Melting Moments
For Filling:
- 1/2 stick of butter (1/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar --- use 1 cup if making Strawberry Melting Moments
- pulp and juice of 1 passion fruit
--- substitute for 3 blended fresh strawberries if doing Strawberry Melting Moments.

Directions:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Farenheit
- Beat together the first 5 ingredients until smooth
- Form into small balls and place on lined baking tray
- Press on each ball with the prongs of a fork
- Bake for 13 minutes until golden
- Set aside to cool for half an hour
For Filling:
- Beat filling ingredients together until creamy
- Once Melting Moments are cool, spread filling on one and then sandwich with another on top.




17 comments:

Nikki said...

Yum!!! and gorgeous pictures!!!


Nikki

Tamara Nicole said...

Mmmm it all looks amazing! I love squah blossoms so I'm sure zucchini are amazing as well:-)

And yes I listen to music when I'm doing anything and everything. Blogging, cleaning, reading, working out, baking, cooking, etc. Love it!

P.S. thanks for the anniversary wishes, we had a blast!

a whole lotta love said...

I had just heard the other day about eating the zucchini blossoms. I had never eaten them before. Everything you make always looks so delectable!

I love this music playlist too. I'm ALWAYS listening to music.. its like my life has a continual soundtrack. It makes everything fun ;)

Have a wonderful day!

shealennon said...

Hey, thanks for the cooking/baking music ideas! Unless I have the tv on (tuned to Food Network of course) I like to cook and bake with tunes as well.

Gaia said...

I'll never been bored of your pics! You are fantastic in evrything you do!

Looking Glass said...

I love the Amelie soundtrack. I listen to it all the time when I'm home alone. Actually, it's great when guests come over for dinner too as background music!

~ Clare x

jennifer ▲ i art u said...

how sweet! i need to make a cooking playlist...
i LOVE when you share your recipes with us dionne..thank you!!!
j.

Tender Branson said...

Excellent post and choices. I love how you break it down by dishes. Thanks for the linkage.

k. davis said...

oh my... those dishes look delicious! I wish I lived nearby so you could show me the way!

kelly ann said...

oohh, i love this!

Torie Jayne said...

Me too! Nothing better than baking to loud music! Those melting moments look and sound so good! Have a sweet day!

Carissa said...

you are too adorable. I love how different songs inspire you to create different dishes. I'm usually a mess in the kitchen, triple checking the recipe, trying to accurately measure ingredients, that I think music would only distract me! haha. but maybe once I improve my cooking prowess I'll add tunes to the mix.

Barbara said...

Such a fun post! And yummy photos and recipes.
I plug my Shuffle in my ears and cook, clean and iron to music. Really don't pair much, I go on kicks. At the moment, Michael Jackson gets me moving right along.

GloamingDesigns said...

wonderful! and it's funny because just recently i've been putting on Sinatra's Fly Me to the Moon for cooking too! we must be on the same wavelength :)

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I love your idea of having specific songs for specific types of cooking. You are just so cute (like your art work.)

Happy cooking and happy listening.

Fondly,
Glenda

Tali Schiffer said...

Seriously Dionne, your food creations are out of this world!!

the teacup chronicles said...

This is wonderful! I totally agree with the picks. They represent the food perfectly!

Your blog is so fun, by the way :)