Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Kitchen Return

One thing that I missed about home when Brian and I were on vacation:

Cooking and Baking.

Photobucket

Now that I am back, I have returned to the kitchen with a vengeance.
Photobucket

Have you baked or cooked anything yummy recently?

For the Mini Milo Meringue Cake Recipe, join me after the jump.

Mini Milo Meringue Cake:

INGREDIENTS FOR CAKE:
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour
- 2 TB Milo (can be substituted for cocoa, but it won't taste nearly as good!)
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 stick of butter
- 2 eggs

INGREDIENTS FOR MERINGUE:
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 3/4 cup Water
- 4 Egg Whites
- 1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar

DIRECTIONS FOR CAKE:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Cream the sugar and butter together
- Add the eggs and vanilla essence
- Add the rest of the dry ingredients and combine well
- Pour Batter into little cake moulds and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer poked into it comes out clean

DIRECTIONS FOR MERINGUE:
- Boil water and sugar together in a pot until it becomes a syrup-like consistency
- Whisk together Egg Whites and Cream of Tartar in a separate bowl until stiff peaks form
- Pour syrup in with egg whites gradually, while whisking continuously
- Keep whisking until it becomes room temperature

ASSEMBLY:
Smother the meringue over the cake like icing, and then brown the edges with a blow torch.

30 comments:

Kate at Dream To Life said...

Oh my goodness this looks delicious! I just stopped by your ETSY shop...you are an amazing photographer! Thank you for the inspiration!

xo,
k

Hannah said...

Oh lovely! It looks so delicious! Might have to make dessert tonight...mmm...

XOXO - Hannah

the southern hostess said...

You're amazing! That cake is precious.

Chiara said...

Ooooooooh you just made me crave Pad thai!!! Looks amazing!!!
I used to eat Thai food all the time, and this past year in Peru I have been looking for a spot.... no luck!

xoxo
Chiara
www.joiedevivre-chiara.blogspot.com

Ashley said...

D,

I am constantly impressed by your talents. What can't you do?!! That Pad Thai looks professional. The cake looks like Martha Stewart's.

Hugs,

Ash

monica at in wanderment said...

Oh, wow. Did you cook these? Gorgeous dahling. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Jadyn's Garden Bowtique said...

Your blog always makes me hungry
OM NOM NOM LOL

Kris said...

That pad thai deconstruction looks SO interesting!!!

LBB said...

Whenever I'm away from home I'm always anxious to get back to my kitchen too! Your food not only looks tasty, its beautiful how you display it too!

Kristin said...

OMG...that meringue...I'm drooling!

sEy said...

The Milo Meringue Cake is mouth watering. I want some cake now....hahaha!

AMKreations said...

Yay for kitchens...I'm glad I have a stove now...it's be a God-send!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

These look wonderful. It looks like your kitchen is going full force.

Tender Branson said...

That meringue is spot on. I've been working a lot with cornmeal recently (polenta and corn bread).

lisaroyhandbags said...

mmm these look delicious!
It's been too hot to bake and cooking in the summer around here means bbq and salads! can't wait for the fall's cooler weather to get back in the kitchen! :)

K said...

How in the world do you have time for everything?? I get home from work and am exhausted and can barely microwave leftovers.

rubyandjoy said...

Ooh that meringue cake looks amazing! I'm a huge sweet tooth...cover anything with meringue and I'm in! My latest creative venture was a honey and rosemary cake...it was scrumtious, especially with tea!
xx

photojoy said...

Glad you're back and be ready for working on your next creativity. It's just unusually too hot everyday in Nagoya.It's good to have someone around me that I cook for otherwise the heat makes me just lazy cooking.

k. davis said...

wowee those sure look delicious! You have such a way with food!

jennifer ▲ i art u said...

wow dionne! you never cease to amaze me!!!!!
looks so amazing...
j.

Vanessa said...

Oh my gosh, I am so sick of eating out this summer! Now that my boyfriend has flown back to New York, I am looking forward to many simple, homemade salads.

Jessica Roy said...

First of all - love these photos! Secondly - can't wait to try these super yum recipes...

Nicole Marie said...

that mini cake is so cute!!

Maki said...

I cooked Udon today for dinner and it was Super good. I want to try your Pad Thai so bad, Dionne!!!

Pamela said...

Um, YUMMY!!!! And welcome back. xoxo

Tali Schiffer said...

Yummy! Welcome back. I'm sure the kitchen is happy you're back to play in it :)

Barbara said...

I love to travel, but it's always nice to get home, isn't it Dionne?

I think my cooking will have to wait until this wrist is healed...but I do have some good posts in reserve!

Sarah Mina said...

that meringue cake looks so yummy! and i LOVE pad thai!

Holly Knitlightly said...

Mmm! That food looks so good! And thank you for the recipe.

Gaia said...

Welcome back to the kitchen! I've missed your recipes!
Have a fantastic weekend!
G