Friday, July 2, 2010

Sweet Week

This week has definitely been sugar-loaded.

....Photobucket

I am planning my sister's Bridal Shower coming up in August, so I've been experimenting with baking all different types of desserts. We've been eating sweets every day. If I was 7 years old, I would be running around the place right now in a hyperactive flurry.

Photobucket


These turned out delicious!


(PS. Abi is holding a giveaway for a cause at her blog here)
(PPS. People with shops -Check out my latest article at Meylah about store policies here)
(PPS. For recipes, join me after the jump...)



CHAMPAGNE GRAPE CHARLOTTES:

1 cup milk
1/4 cup sugar
3 egg yolks
2 tsp vanilla essence
2 tsp powdered gelatin
1/4 cup cold water

1 1/2 mashed fresh raspberries
3/4 cup heavy cream
a few bunches of champagne grapes
Lady Finger Cookies

DIRECTIONS:
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the water and set aside to set.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the sugar and egg yolks until pale yellow.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk to boiling point. Slowly pour some of the hot milk over the egg yolks to temper them.
- Add the remaining milk while whiskingl, then add vanilla. This is only one tricky part - don't let the eggs scramble in the hot milk - you need to watch it and continually stir it so that it doesn't do that. It's just the same as when you make any custard, just keep stirring.
- Pour the liquid back into the saucepan, and cook over medium low heat until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. - Remove from the heat, add the raspberries, grapes and gelatin and stir until the gelatin is dissolved.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Whip the cream to soft peaks.
- Incorporate the raspberry mix into the cream.

Then you just line the cookies around the bowl/ramekin (lined with wax paper so you can easily take it out when it's done), fill it with the mousse, and then pop it in the freezer for 1 hour. It should come out of the wax papered ramekin easily. Then after that, top if with whipped cream and berries.


PEACHES & CREAM SHORTCAKE COOKIES:

2 chopped peaches
7 tbsp granulated sugar
pinch nutmeg
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
1 tsp vanilla essence
6 tbsp diced cold butter

2/3 cup heavy cream


DIRECTIONS:
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and line baking sheets with wax paper.

- Combine the peaches with 2 tbsp of the sugar and set aside.

- Whisk the flour, salt, baking powder, nutmeg and rest of sugar in a large bowl. Add the butter and mix it becomes crumb-like.
- Stir in the cream
and vanilla and then the peaches.
- Drop dough in rounds onto the baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes, or until beginning to brown on the edges.

28 comments:

k. davis said...

Oh me... oh my... please come to Korea with some of those yummies! I just might have to figure out my oven (it's in Korean hangul), in order to bake some of these!

CaraBella said...

oh.my.word. That Grape Charlotte treat looks... indescribably amazing! A dessert wrapped in a dessert? Yes!

Sarah Mina said...

Those shortbread cookies look so yummy!

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

All these look yummy! Your sister is lucky to have you :D
And yes, Im a twihard, hahahaha, never thought I would, but got hooked up last year and there is no way back hahaha, hope you still like me :P
no really!

caroline @ patagonia gifts said...

oh my goodness Dionne! that charlotte looks absolutely delish! you're so talented, not only beautiful but delicious treats! happy friday! xo

monkeyandsquirrel said...

on my goodness... you never cease to make me hungry :)

caroline @ patagonia gifts said...

thank you for your sweet comment today, Dionne!

Rainy Daisy said...

These look so amazing. I can't get over how beautiful the charlottes look! I am a total sugar nut. I think the seven-year-old-me rules my eating habits.

cheers,
Daisy

Nicole Marie said...

yum yum yum!!! for my sisters birthday my twoyear old brother ate two big pieces of a cake a a cookie. it was the funniest ting i've ever seen! bed time was not easy that for sure!

Melissa Blake said...

You are the BEST planner!!! Those look awesome!!! xoxo

lisaroyhandbags said...

mmm... those look so good! the charlottes are adorable! : )

bicocacolors said...

yuuum yuum it looks like delicious!!!
happy 4th of July
greetings from spain

jennifer young said...

sweet week! my kind of week!!! :)

these recipes look phenom dionne...bookmarking...now!

have a good weekend! :)
j.

Tamara Nicole said...

Sounds fun!!! I'm throwing my sister a baby showe rin Aug as well, so will be watching out for ideas here:-)

Happy Fourth!

oh, hello friend. said...

oh my my, those grape charlottes look so yummy! and peaches and cream cookies?! yum! you are so talented dionne. can i hire you to bake for my wedding? hehe ;) xo.

sEy said...

I would be very delighted if I could bake everyday. However with the busy life, I couldn't find time for it.

Champagne Grape Charlottes looks delicious. Thanks and I will share these recipes to a bloggy friend who is looking for recipes.

Bridget said...

oh my goodness. grape charlottes. they're so pretty!

Leah said...

These all look so yummy and pretty!

Come check out my first giveaway!!!!

Luvs!

Little Miss Tiara said...

Ooo... lookie! FOOD! (again???) goodies! And recipes! Omg! Yayness! Once I'm done, after sprinkles and shopping and Le boy-ing, I'll spend my time cooking and drawing all day! Yes, that's the plan :D haha

Lovely Scribbles said...

These desserts look amazing, Dionne! You're SO talented!!

Tender Branson said...

Since you aren't seven and haven't been running around on a sugar high, how are you holding up? Sometimes when I eat to much sugar I begin to feel sick. As always nice pictures and thanks for the recipes, I especially am drawn to the peaches and cream cookies. Are you done trying out sweets or are there more to come?

Heather Taylor said...

My mouth watered looking at these. Yummy!

Jen said...

YUM!!! These look divine!!

the southern hostess said...

These look yummy and adorable, perfect for a shower!

Torie Jayne said...

They look and sound so yummy! Have a sweet day!

Barbie said...

I found you from Hannah's blog. Your blog is beautiful and your photos so amazing! I am following you now!

Barbara said...

Those turned out beautifully, Dionne! Very elegant and feminine. Perfect for a bridal shower. Keep us posted!

Kristin said...

I'm ok with all sugar all the time. HA!