Friday, March 5, 2010

Business of Bread

Let's get down to business shall we?

Bread Business, that is.

Photobucket

There is no food more fundamental than bread. It pops up in every culture, in every country, and it can be as fancy or as plain as you like. I went for one whole year without eating bread (it used to upset my stomach), and will never do it again.

Whenever I go Grocery Shopping, along with milk and eggs, it's one of the first things on my list. But every now and then I like to bake my own. On Tuesday I made my own Garlic Bread. Michele mentioned to me that it looked like Foccacia, and when she said that, I realized that it had the density of foccacia bread, so I've officially named it my Garlic Focaccia Bread.

Photobucket

Here's the recipe if you'd like it:


Dionne's Garlic Foccacia Bread:

Ingredients:
- 2 1/4 Teaspoons Active Dry Yeast
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Thyme
- 1 Teaspoon Rosemary
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup of Room Temp Water
- 1 Cup shredded Mozarella Cheese
- 1/2 Cup shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 4 Tablespoons melted Butter
- 5 cloves of Garlic
- 1/4 cup Fresh Parsley

Directions:
1. Dissolve the Yeast in the Warm Water for about 5 minutes, and then add the sugar and stir. Leave for 15 minutes until you see foam appear.
2. Add Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano, Garlic Powder, Oil and Flour, and only one Teaspoon of the Salt, mixing until the dough is smooth.
3. Cover the bowl with a damp towel and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F
5. Brush a round cake tin with oil, and then place the dough into the pan, smoothing it out to cover the entire bottom.
6. Cover the top with the cheeses, and more spices if desired.

7. Bake for 15-20 minutes until cheeses are browned on top.
8. While bread is baking, crush the 5 peeled Garlic Cloves and mix with the Melted Butter.
9. Chop the Fresh Parsley finely, and add to the Garlic butter mix along with the salt and stir.
10. When the bread is finished, remove from oven and spread the Garlic Butter mix over the entire top.
11. Turn the temperature down to 350 degrees F, and bake for a further 10 minutes.

23 comments:

passport in my pocket said...

oh yum! I should make this to enjoy with red wine during the oscars on sunday! Thanks for sharing :)

Vanessa said...

Why, oh why did you flaunt bread in my face when I'm supposed to be kicking bread for the month of March? Sad :-(

Little Miss Tiara said...

Ooo... they looks so yuuuummmyyy... me want! Thank you for the recipe ;D should try it soon, I'm a HUGE fan of garlic bread anyway, lol :D

LJ said...

I love bread so much that I even love the SMELL of bread! Instead of baking cookies when people come over, I like to bake bread because I think it smells homey.

Your recipe looks amazing!

Sarah Mina said...

Dionne! You are so culinerily talented! We need to get together sometime and cook/bake, I think you have a lot you could teach me!

Hilary Leister said...

Does bread still upset your stomach? If so, look up "Celiac Disease"... Lots of people in my family have it!

The extent of my cooking is microwaving oatmeal and putting together sandwiches, so I'm always impressed by your creations haha!

Kaye Prince said...

Oh yum! Looks great Dionne, I'll definitely have to give this a try!

photojoy said...

You are so talented in many ways! I used to bake but not anymore. It's not a real baking but you know, I have an easy electoric baking tool called "Home bakery" from Panasonic. All I have to do is put all the ingredients in a pot and put yeast in a samll pocket and set a timer before going to bed. In the morning, the smell of a loaf of bread fills the rooms. I know it's not the real way to enjoy baking process but yet when I'm busy, it's a great help.

photojoy said...

Yeah! I've found you changed your profile picture! I love your smile!

Jennifer said...

I agree with all of the comments... YUM! That sounds and looks delicious! :)

KarenandJason said...

mmm I can't wait to try out the recipe. Hopefully sometime next week!

jennifer young said...

this is serious business!
i may have just have to make this this weekend!
j.

Sarah Esther said...

all of this looks amazing! Now I'm not so shy to say that sometimes I go to restaurants just for the bread... :)

Barbara said...

That looks delish, Dionne! Foccacia is a family favorite but I have never made it! This looks like an excellent recipe for me to try!

Heather Taylor said...

As a former sandwich artist, I've developed a fondness for various types of bread from ciabatta to foccacia to tomato basil. I definitely appreciated this bread post and if I had the ingredients, I would definitely make your recipe!

Melissa Blake said...

Bread is just an all-around heavenly food!! :)

Tali Schiffer said...

Seriously Dionne, you should start your own little bakery! You're amazing, and that's just from seeing the food you make... I'm sure the taste is heavenly!!

prashant said...

You are so culinerily talented!
designers video

the Lost Earring said...

So many breads...so little time! This looks delicious :)

Rebecca said...

is there a better smell then fresh baking bread in one's house...truly?

Mechelle Harrison said...

I have been on the South Beach diet so I have limited amount of bread at my meals. That bread looks so yummy!

Tender Branson said...

What an excellent looking piece of bread. Thanks for the recipe, I will be trying it shortly.

Kristin said...

thanks for sharing your recipe! i recently made my very first loaf of bread and now have been bitten by the baking bug. I have to try this!