Sunday, March 21, 2010

Blog Challenge: Dionne vs. Eric (2 of 3)

Can you think of a place that can make you exuberantly elated, yet also tearfully sad?

For me, that would be the airport. Specifically LAX. The seventh busiest airport in the world.

Photobucket

This is the next topic Eric has assigned me for our Blog Challenge, and unlike March Madness, it's a subject that I am VERY familiar with. For the two years that Brian and I were dating long-distance, LAX seemed like our second home - we were there at least once a month. We got used to all the Security Checkpoint rules, and I knew to wear easy-to-remove shoes, and no metal jewelry.

Photobucket
LAX reminds me of a much-loved Grandma. She had her House Rules - take off your shoes when you come inside the house, no food in the Living Room, lights out at 8pm... but on extremely rare occasions, she would let you break some of these rules - especially if you had a bad week at school. In my case, Grandma LAX stopped me in Customs because I had a bottle of liquid in my purse. But I had been crying because I missed Brian, and she noticed, and let me through with it anyway (note that this is VERY rare! {and kind of scary!}). But in spite of all these rules, you would keep going back to Grandma's place because you loved spending time with her, and always cried when you had to go home. Those are my thoughts about LAX exactly.

I have to admit, LAX is pretty disorganized. The pickup/drop-off set-up is chaos, the Baggage Claim area is a dump, and the cafes inside are all dark and dingy - but LAX was such a huge part of my relationship with Brian, so it will always hold a special place in my heart.

PS. Don't forget to check out the latest topic I have assigned for Eric over here. And let us know who wins round two. And again, I won't be offended at ALL if you pick Eric - he's a GREAT writer!

PPS. The winner of the Barefoot Chic Giveaway is Very Married. Yay!

21 comments:

very married said...

yay! i'm so excited! I sent you an email!

nicole addison said...

lga and i are tight, so i understand this! :)

Maki said...

Aw I can totally relate to this. Airport has the same effect on me too - it's a bit sad place, especially Honolulu Airport. All of my close friends and sister live there, so I don't know if I can deal with goodbyes when I go there this summer....

I must say you won this battle although I enjoyed learning about his FIREWALK! LOL...

boubou said...

Hello ! First time i come across your blog, love your photos inspirations, and your header :) come and visit my inspirations collages blog boubouteatime if you have some time !
a bientot !
Boubou xx

Christina Moreno- floresdelsol said...

hmm i think you win here. there is a love story involved with grandma references, cute photographs and beautiful artwork!!!!

Sarah Mina said...

I think you win this round, Dionne! Your comparison of LAX to your Grandma is pretty awesome.

the Lost Earring said...

What a great post! You win because this post tugged at my heart strings :) (I know, too easy.) Reminds me of the beginning/ending of Love Actually, which inevitably makes me cry every time I see it. Loved your analogy, comparing the airport to grandma's house ha ha :) I totally get it!

VivatRegina said...

First, WHAT in the world was that bottle of liquid? I'm thinking eye drops? Ear drops? cough syrup? But really, what was it?

Second, you win this round. Definitely. :)

LJ said...

GREAT post about the airport! I, personally, have never been to LAX, since when I flew to LA I landed at Burbank. However, I've heard horror stories (and now, some good ones too!). Although some people hate the airport, I love it. It's a place where you can people-watch for hours (especially when your flight is delayed), and there are always really funny souvenirs at which to marvel. I always feel a rush of excitement while at the airport too, even if I'm flying somewhere that's not so glamorous.

Sarah Esther said...

What a great post! And a sweet metaphor :) You are a great writer, too ya know!

LAX reminds me of a right of passage...something you have to go through to get where you're meant to be.

Vanessa said...

Oh, boy, do I know how that is. My boyfriend lives in New York. I live in Sweden. 'Nuff said, huh?

Tamara Nicole said...

You guys are so cute with your blog challenge! Hmmm yes lovely airports! Just dropped off bro-in-law at Seatac for him to head home to Luxembourg, and I was getting the travel itch just being there!

olive juice photography said...

lax is such a cluster (insert f word).. from the circle to the inside it is just a MAD HOUSE! but it is totally unique to la.. you get a little piece of the city in there.. :)

passport in my pocket said...

I received my necklace today from your giveaway a few weeks ago!!! I LOVE IT! Thanks Dionne! :)

Happy monday.

Heather Taylor said...

LAX's baggage claim is definitely a mess, but it does have a way of feeling like home when you're there :)

Phoenix said...

LAX is close to my heart...and it's WAY better than JFK, my dear. I'm off to check out Eric's blog so I can decide more fairly on this one!

Eric said...

I had a great response written. Then some one in my apartment hit the light switch that turns off the router, and I lost it.... grrrrr... I'll retype it tomorrow.

Great post!

photojoy said...

Sweet story. I've landed on LAX once all by myself back directly from Cairo and stayed overnight at a nearby hotel and flew to Honolulu. I hated to be accompanied by anyone at an airport when leaving. It was too sad. It's nice now you share the memories with him.

Tender Branson said...

I can relate, although it would be Chicago Midway.

K. Davis said...

my favorite place in EVERY state, is the "arrivals" section of the main airport! When I lived stateside, I went there on my "sad" "bad" "moody" days, reunions are the GREATEST joys to watch in person... what a fun blog to read!

Claire said...

Lovely photos! I can totally relate with airports & long distance love :)