Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Nutcracker Market

Did you ever read the story of The Nutcracker when you were little?

I remember my parents gave me a lovely book, rich with vibrant illustrations that came with a cassette, so I could read along with the narrator, with beautiful notes of Tchaikovsky playing in the background. I LOVED that book. After reading that book, I always imagined that the Nutcracker that we pulled out at Christmas time would protect all the Christmas cookies we had.

..........Photobucket

This weekend we went to Houston's Nutcracker Market. It's a yearly Holiday Market that gives the ticket proceeds to the Houston Ballet Company, and different Arts Scholarships around Houston. I was so excited to go - and it did not disappoint.
Photobucket
There were merchants from all around the world selling their wares. Everything was so bright and enchanting. There was the smell of the Ethiopian Coffees, the tastes of the delicious French Jams, the softness of the woven blankets from different parts of Africa...
it really was quite the sensory overload!
Photobucket

I hope you all had a lovely weekend too, filled with lots of sensory delights!
(PS. The winner of the Olive Giveaway is Simply Mel. Yay!)

22 comments:

Katie said...

Oooh - jealous! It looks lovely, you always have such fantastic photos.

alyssa said...

oh that looks so wonderful! christmas!

Sarah said...

O, wonderful!!! I would have loved to come - it looks like peaceful, beautiful fun. Thank you so much for sharing, hun.

photojoy said...

Wow, it seems to be a huge market. I love strolling along each shop. In Japan too, Chiristmas decorations and illuminations is everywhere! I love this season of Christmas. It's time for me to think of all my friends far away.

mina said...

i love the effect you make around your photos. photoshop?

Little Miss Tiara said...

wow! Goodness all over! Hahaha... it's been a long time since the last time I visited such event, ah... should look for one the soonest, lol. Oh, the latest I visited was a food festival, lololol =d

Jennifer Rose said...

I'm not a xmas fan but those photos are lovely and it looks like a great place to walk around. and its great that proceeds go to the ballet company

Kaye Prince said...

That looks like such a lovely market - it reminds me of stories I've heard about the Christkindlmarkt in Vienna (I've never been).

Alex and I went Christmas ornament and menorah shopping yesterday (although we didn't actually get a menorah since Alex didn't like any of them) and it was so great!

caroline @ patagonia gifts said...

oh looks so lovely! love the bits and pieces photo! have a wonderful week, darling!

Lovely Scribbles said...

Oh, this market looks absolutely enchanting! How fun! I love your illustration, too. It's too perfect!!

p.s. I gave a little shout out to you on my blog today. :)

one9designs said...

I wish we had something like that around here, sounds beautiful!

MYSAVIOR said...

Beautiful photos, Dionne!!

♥♥♥
Sue

the Lost Earring said...

Loved The Nutcracker Ballet as a kid. Oh and the music, amazing! That soundtrack was one of my first cassette tapes :) Sounds like a wonderful market you attended. Di you bring anything home?

PS Olive pillows are the BEST!!!

Melissa Blake said...

Oh, that sounds so fun!! :)

Lola said...

Great pics!

How do you make them look framed like that?

Laure said...

Oh my God, this market looks amazing!!! I so wish it wasn't on the other side of the sea... :(

Well, hopefully I'll get to go to strasbourg christmas market this year, and get to blog about it :)

Phoenix said...

Okay, you have officially put the love of Christmas shopping into my head :)

Megara said...

I think maybe I need a nutcracker to protect the cookies from me at christmastime... or maybe it should be protecting me from the cookies?

Carissa said...

what a fun way to spend the weekend! I'm pretty sure I read The Nutcracker when I was little, but I can't quite remember... maybe I should read it now... as an adult! :)

btw, I got the prints yesterday and I LOVE them. thank you!

Sarah Mina said...

I missed the Nutcracker Market this year but I am glad you went and blogged about it! I was definitely planning to...great way to get into the Christmas spirit!

simplesong said...

lovely post! i so love the nutcracker....its a holiday tradition for us and one of my favorites.

C said...

Cute post!
I just found out about your blog and I'm soooo loving it!
Your illustrations are wonderful!
Thanks for sharing!
Carmen
buscut.blogspot.com