Thursday, November 5, 2009

Mixed Tape

Did you ever make mixed tapes?

I remember when I was in middle school, I would tape songs off the radio that I liked as they aired, and then I would rock out to it in my bedroom, playing my ever-so-awesome air guitar. I would sneak my walkman to school in my bag, and pull it out at lunch-time and play my little soundtrack to my friends.
.....Photobucket


Today we call that a Play List - but I loved the idea of hearing a song on the radio for the first time and taping it because I loved it so much, and sharing it with my friends who had never heard it before.


If I made a mixed tape for you right now, it would definitely include music by The Colour Elect. Have you ever heard of them? They're an up-and-coming band based in Los Angeles that have a really unique sound. Their music has a rock sound to it, but then you're totally caught off guard when the lead singer (Josef Gordon) sings, because his voice sounds more like something you'd expect to hear in an R & B song. It's such a standout sound, with influences from as broad as Mariah Carey to Metallica (don't you just love a group of guys who admit to being inspired by Mariah Carey?).
Photobucket
The band comprises of five lads, and started with two friends - Josef Gordon and Kellen Mills (Lead Guitar) - wanting to do what they love most, making music. Later on, the three other lads (Robb Hutzal, Chris Wrate and Leo Budirahardjo) joined the team and since then, they've been creating quite a buzz.

If you wanna check them out to see what all the hoopla is about, they are on
Facebook and Myspace, and for you SoCal folk, they are playing at The Mint on Sunday November 15, and also The Roxy on Saturday November 28. So yep, this band would take up a huge chunk of my mixed tape.

What about you? Who would you put on a mixed tape and rock out to with your air guitar?

25 comments:

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

Ah, mixed tapes. Now those were the days!

Michele said...

I still have some of my mixed tapes but have nothing to play them on. It would be funny to hear what I thought was good music 15 years ago. Right now I have a list here on my desk of singers I want to add to a play list. I want to make a jazz type play list for the holidays.

oh, hello friend. said...

ahhh mixed tapes. what a memory. bring back the mixed tapes!!

now its mixed cds or even mixed online playlists, which i have totally made for nicholas. hehe.

you should come down in november to see them and then we can hang out! ;)

xo. danni

Meghan said...

I used to LOVE making mix tapes. I also taped songs off the radio. Oh, the memories!

If I had to include current artists today, I would definitely add Phoenix - especially if I am looking to add in a little air guitar!

The Girl in the Orange Background said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Girl in the Orange Background said...

Thanks for reminding me of those awesome times. I did the same thing too! And sometimes I would wait anxiously for a song that I wanted to record; I would tune to the radio that I knew played it the most and record it. I used to get so excited when they finally played that particular song. I also had to do mixed tapes for when me and my friends wanted to create mixed-choreographies. Those I did from cds to tapes. Ahhh, I love those memories; I have my tapes somewhere!

nicole addison said...

right now im really loving owl city, theyd be my mix tape to you for sure! i was making a mix tape last week and it brought back so many highschool memories:)

Jaime said...

I always taped thing from the radio- I remember specifically I would sit for hours to hear...Baby One More Time(!)... I wanted to get the taping JUUUUST right lol.

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

i love mixed tapes- right now i'm listening to Janelle Monae, she makes me dance!

Hilary Leister said...

The soundtrack to "500 Days of Summer" is totally money! Also, I'm currently a big Lady Gaga fan haha...

-Hilary

Vanessa said...

Oh, I was the queen of mixed tapes! Somehow mixed tapes are a little less romantic...
Who do I rock out to on my air guitar? The Boss. Works every time.

Phoenix said...

Sweet! I am obsessed with finding new music and up and coming bands... and I totally used to tape off the radio to make mix tapes.

My mix tapes would always have themes. I took them very seriously. ;)

aubrey said...

oh i remember these tapes!but i always forgot to switch of the radio when the song was over:)
i love old tapes...
but now i've got my mp3:)

xx

a little twig birdhouse said...

Ha, I remember mixed tapes! And trying to click "record" and "stop" at just the right time while listening to the sterio, always got a little bit of the DJ chatting or starting up the next song. Seemed so normal then, but really, how annoying now if that was still the way. I think I have a few mixed tapes around, I'll have to dig those up for a listen, and some good memories.

Melissa Blake said...

oh, woooooowowowow! I thought I was the only person who did that. I found some of my many mix tapes a few years ago, full of classic '90s (Tal Bachman, anyone?)

Definitely good times!

Sarah Arkanoff said...

Love my old mix tapes! My husband now rocks at making me monthly mixed cds- has every since we started dating!

Gaia said...

Hi darling...
in the last period I have a real obsession for Beatles and I listen theme in loop!

I adore "Just Breathe" Pearl Jam song... Do you know it?

Have a great weekend!

Pamela said...

i'll have to check out their music!

let's see, my mixed tape would include a little of the beatles, pink floyd, alexi murdock, jack johnson, regina spektor...i'm sure the list could go on and on!

Annie said...

i guess in a way i still have mixed tapes...i make ipod playlists all the time!! i love all kinds of different music.

right now, i love a little country mixed with my new favorite song, you make it real by james morrison...LUV IT!!

i am going to check out this band you posted! love hearing new stuff :)

Little Miss Tiara said...

my mixed tape... most porbably will contain love song :P but I do have some love for The Academy is and David Guetta, lol. Oh, and some Korean songs too I'm a mixed girl :d

Melissa said...

Thanks dionne! You are so sweet =) my mixed tape would be loads of regina spektor, jack johnson, coldplay, radiohead, and michael jackson!

Torie Jayne said...

Mixed tapes! Great memories! I would put one on with my beau and rock out to some Guns N Roses! Have a sweet day!

Tambria said...

I remember mixed tapes! WOW! You took me back Dionne with the Walkman. I would make a mixtape of Prince and Minnie Ripperton.

When I was a kid, my cousins and I would run around the house playing our air guitar to Prince's music.

:)

Tender Branson said...

That's a bad question for me...I do it every month. Katsen is my go to for now.

Des said...

This post made me laugh out loud because I remember how seriously I took my mixed tapes back in middle school. I remember getting angry at the dj on the radio for speaking too soon at the end of the song and messing up the recording. lol. Anyway, great post. I'd have to put Matt and Kim and Coconut Records on my current mixtape.