Sunday, September 6, 2009

What We Leave Behind

What was life like for the generations before us?

I have had this on my mind this weekend because we went to the Museum of Natural History yesterday. I know that we have books and other documentation of what life was like in other periods of history, but I wonder what it would feel like to live in those times before us? All we have to go by are these items left behind - are they an accurate representation of what it was like back then? It seems like everyday life is so easy for us compared to the generations before us.
Photobucket
We can see fossils, relics, and other various footprints from the past - and it makes me wonder what our generation will leave behind. I really hope that it's something amazing, something valuable, something to be proud of. I hope that the generations that come after us will see us as a generation that loved and gave and cared. I want the exhibits in the museums that come after us show that we were happy, and loved family, and loved life, and learned from our ancestors. It would be wonderful if each specimen could show that we gave everything we could to make life better for those that came after us.

Photobucket

I also want to give a warm welcome to all my new sponsors! Please stop by and see them all, their lovely links are along the right side.
(PS - the winner of the Stamping Studio Giveaway is Chelsey. Congrats!)

14 comments:

Little Miss Tiara said...

;O fossils! *gasp* I am actually scared of them, lol. They remind me of skull and that's quite scary. But yeah, that's kinda wonderful to know something from the past... =d

and oh! That's so cool! A lot of new sponsors! =d

Simply Mel said...

A thought-provoking post for sure! I often wonder this myself, and I can only hope that we leave some good and not continue upon the path we are on now.

Pamela said...

Yes, I think of this question often...I know I'm grateful for my ancestors and their hard ward and dedication to family, God, and life and I hope to pass the same values onto my own posterity...to leave the same legacy.

And thank you for the warm welcome! I'm happy to be a sponsor of the lovely "City of Dionne''!

Michelle said...

I absolutely love the NYC Natural History Museum. It really blew my mind. It's amazing how easy it is to forget what existed before us because we're always focused on the here and now or the future. Looking back is important to our sense of self, though!

b. said...

i seriously often wonder about the same things!

Tender Branson said...

I always think about this too. I know one thing they will probably find years from now is all our garbage. As much as it saddens me... Love the pictures from the museum.

DesBisoux said...

that's really nice post.the pictures are great. i often wonder the same...i hope it's that we were always able to love, no matter what.

the Lost Earring said...

I love museums. The Field Museum in Chicago had a neat exhibit on Egyptians--mummies and all. I enjoyed that so much. Who knows what stories museums will tell about us...

fındıkfaresi said...

Not related to this topic but I received my etui box today, and blogged about it:)
thanks:)

Ali said...

I get what you mean. It's so weird (and cool!) to think about what life will be like when we're not here. Britney Spears will be considered an oldie and hybrid cars will be seen as so ancient - ha!

Blushing hostess said...

I understand. Though it concerns me that some offspring I am responsible for birthing could become extinct in this process which is so natural and brutal all at once.

Stéphanie said...

Great pictures !

Phoenix said...

lol sometimes I wonder if all that will ever be found of us after we're gone is our iPhones...

Anna Ander said...

Sweet Dionne,

I just wanted to say hi. Hope all is well with you and that you and Brian have a lovely anniversary. Loved the post on food gawking! I hear you loud and clear.

/A.