Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Education and Food

Education and Food. That is pretty much what makes Brian and me tick as a couple. He's the learning sponge of our relationship, and I am the foodie - and together we make a pretty good team. An example of this would be the lists that we compiled of things to do with our friends that were visiting from out of town:
Photobucket
You can clearly see what our priorities are, hehehehe.

So for Brian's part of the trip we explored Austin, Texas - it is a gorgeous city. Not as big as Houston, but still very pretty. The Capitol Building was gorgeous. I loved looking at all the architectural elements, while Brian was interested in reading all the little plaques listing out the names of all the past governors, and the history of each monument.

Photobucket
Photobucket

My part of the trip was obviously all about gastronomical delights. We hit all the places I wanted to go to on my list, and also some great new ones. We drove out to Galveston, which is a small beach town in Texas. It's kind of a mix of Texan and Southern, with architecture and food being a blend of Texan and New Orleans style. It was pretty battered last year when Hurricane Ike hit, but it's recovering slowly but surely.

Galveston had a lot of great seafood places - one being Olympia - an awesome Greek-inspired restaurant. I love seafood and Greek food, so I was immediately sold on it.

Photobucket


Thanks to all of you who commented on my last post about things to do with guests! I loved all your answers.

(PS - I was featured on Swapdex from the Swap i hosted in Spring. Check it out here if you would like to see).

32 comments:

cgw @ accidentally, kle said...

hahaha the list really did make me laugh! you're obviously very passionate about your food! :)

KLaw said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Yours is adorable! I absolutely love your style and look forward to reading more!

Nicole Marie said...

oh your lists are hilarious! mine would be all the great food places too!

Michelle said...

ha ha this is exactly the kind of list Jordan and I would make. He's super brainy and I love my food!

Lindsey said...

That's so funny, I think my list would look like Brian's and Jon's would look like yours!

And I just checked out your swap feature. Congrats, you! That's awesome!

Vanessa said...

The best part of traveling is the food! I've never been to Texas, but I would imagine the food's incredibly delicious.

Lily G. said...

Haha, cute. I'm a total foodie too so I totally get you!

liliesandgrapes.blogspot.com

Kristin said...

I totally get planning a trip around eating... my husband and I are both like that! It makes for very tasty travels. ;)

Truly Smitten said...

LOL!!! You guys live such parallel lives as us! I do the same thing - haha!

Summer said...

We have a similar situation...me, the food and he, the natural beauty! :)

Pamela said...

I love it! Great list of things to do. :) It sounds like you two make excellent hosts!

Orchid Grey said...

I am so in love with Austin, TX! everyday I dream about moving from dreary Massachussetts so sunny Texas...

Brunch at Saks said...

What a great list! The photos are gorgeous as well :) XO

simplesong said...

So cute. I'm the foodie of the relationship too.

orange sugar home said...

I'm all about a good meal too. If you really love food and travel you should rent Spain, On the Road Again with Gweneth Paltrow, Mario Batali, NY Times writer Mark Bittman and gorgeous Spaniard Claudua Bassoul. I think you'd really like it.

iheartkiwi said...

austin is meant to have some phenomenal places to eat... i would love to go there during the sxsw music festival!

oh, hello friend. said...

how adorable!

you are such a GREAT host.
and i love how all your stuff is FOOD! that is such the same thing with me.

YUM for texas BBQ! Glad you're having a good time, but still blogging ;)

lyndsey | paper girl said...

hahaha i love the food list...and i can totally relate. i swear, 90% of the things i write about on twitter & facebook are just about food. no wonder we are friends :)

so cool that you were featured! and sounds like the trip was fun -- i've heard great things about austin and galveston. way to explore your new state!

Kellie ~ Ada and Darcy said...

Ohh sounds like wonderful plans!!!

LBB said...

You take such good care of your guests! Great ideas...but I'm with you...trying new restaurants/foods is entertaining and an experience all on its own! :) ~Lynn

Marietta said...

Haha my list would be the same including some shopping!And my bfs list would include museums.. The good thing is that when we go, I don't need to read the signs! I looked at your etsy store and your designs are so pretty!

Phoenix said...

student of food + student of life = awesome pairing :)

Brigadeiro said...

Ah, it's all about the food! :) 90% of my pics are of food, haha!
Agape,
CC

LINDSAY said...

I'll have to say I favor your list! yumsy!

Sara Ancich said...

Your blog is so interesting...I was "blalking" you earlier today. I lost track of time reading older posts. Great stuff.

Iva said...

so funny!! you have such a fun blog!!!

<3,Iva

Phoenix said...

Yeah, I totally would have crashed through the food too. That's so me. Ugh.

photojoy said...

Galveston! That reminds me of a song by Glen Campbell! Oh, don't giggle. I liked his songs long long time ago. I'd met him after the live show in Nagoya and I even shook hands with him! I was young! Yay!

Dionne said...

Hahahaha, I know that song! You are funny, Photojoy!

Ana said...

Aw...this makes me miss Austin. The next time I visit my brothers there, I will have to get your restaurant suggestions!

Thanks so much for your nice comment on my blog. Looking forward to reading more on your site!

Bri said...

I love your blog! Love the drawings and the way that the photos are put together. Really unique.

Monica said...

You two seem like awesome hosts. I have to say, I love Galveston and Austin. And my hubs and I are seriously planning to move to Austin in the next couple of yrs.